[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, January 2, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 19:49:45 UTC 2014

Hello to all my readers on either the second or third of January 2014, depending on where in this world you happen to live.  I hope that your day is going well and, for those of you who are even now experiencing inclement winter weather, that everything's going well and that your power isn't out.  I'm not totally certain whether or not I'll be able to go to my Lions Club meeting this evening, as we're expecting some of the same type of unpleasant weather conditions.  However I've got enough food in my larder if I don't go.

As to other things, my housemate Michelle and I were going through some old tools and other things that I didn't know I had, and we've gathered together those items that I don't need or want.  So, that is done for another 25 years or so, provided of course that the Lord lets me live that long.

And now for the daily thought message for today.  Its author is not given, but it was published some years ago by the American Tract Society which, as I told you previously, has been distributing Gospel literature since 1830.  The article in question is entitled "What's Ahead For the New Year?", rendered as follows:

No one knows, but one thing is sure.  No matter what the New Year holds, there is one thing we are all doing--growing older.

There is no point trying to deceive ourselves that time is not writing any wrinkles on our brows, that we are wearing better than our friends and associates, that the years are not hurrying by and taking their toll as they do.

Let's face it.  Our days on earth are growing fewer.  But the fault is ours if they are growing poorer.

Many people estimate their lives in terms of money, reputation, pleasure or passion, judging it to be nothing more than the opportunity to satisfy their passing desires.  To those who indulge in this perverted arithmetic in moral values, life offers small possibilities and little meaning.

But to all those who have discovered that man cannot grow to full stature until he is recreated in the likeness of Jesus Christ, life takes on new zest, new meaning, and a new quality.

This quality which Christ gives to life cannot be impaired by time.  Growth is its law, service its expression.  Those who share it have an enduring joy in their hearts.

The marvelous fact is that this new life is not something we must patiently wait to receive on the other side of death.  It is a wonderful gift of God which can be ours even now--WHILE WE ARE GROWING OLDER.

The problem, of course, is that we have no right to this new life until we settle the question of our sin, for the Bible reminds us that "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23), and "the wages of sin is death" (Romans 6:23).  On the other hand, the Bible tells us that "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

Therefore, now is the time to "seek ye the Lord while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near" (Isaiah 55:6) for He came that "you might have life, and that you might have it more abundantly" (John 10:10).

Growing older? We all are, but there is no reason why we shouldn't settle this crucial matter right now before any more time slips by.  Don't you agree?

Now I know that I have been "preaching to the choir," as the old saying goes, but maybe, just maybe, you know of someone or other who needs to hear or read this message.  If you do and he/she has access to a computer, forward it to them, and someday they will thank you for it.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another Daily Thought message for your reading ears, eyes and, if you have a Braille display, even reading fingers.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul