[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Monday, July 14, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 19:28:12 UTC 2014

Hello and good summer's day to all my readers, or if you're in New Zealand or other colder climes, good winter's day.  I hope that you are all doing well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Here again, we have another article from last year.  The author of this article is Jewell Johnson who lives in Arizona.  Her contribution for today is "The Power of Encouragement," rendered as follows:

When George Washington Carver was an infant, slave raiders carried him off with his mother.  Moses Carver, their owner, sent a man to search for them.  He returned with George wrapped in a bundle of rags, but his mother was never heard of again.

When six-year-old George asked to attend the school near their farm, Moses' wife, Mary, said, "That school is only for white children." But she found an old speller and taught him the alphabet.

Later George moved from the Carver farm to Neosho, Missouri, to attend elementary school.  He eventually applied to Highland College and was accepted.  When he arrived on campus, the college dean took one look at him and said, "We do not take Negroes at this school."

At this point George gave up his dream of going to college.  But while working in Winterset, Iowa, he met Mr. and Mrs. Mulholland, a white couple.  They recognized George's talents and took a keen interest in him, often inviting him to their home for Sunday dinner.  When they heard of his desire to attend college, they encouraged him.

Their help made the difference.  George applied to Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa, and was eventually accepted.  He graduated from Iowa State Agricultural College in 1890 and went on to revolutionize agriculture for Southern farmers by developing more than 300 products from peanuts.  At the time of his death in 1943, 18 public schools had been named in his honor.

The world today recognizes the inventive genius of George Washington Carver.  Yet few know about the obscure couple who helped him achieve success.  Their encouragement turned the tide for a discouraged young man.

Our destinies hang by a thin thread.  Left to ourselves, we may become disheartened and give up our plans and dreams until someone comes along and says, "I believe in you.  You can do it." By the same token, when we speak encouraging words to others, we dispel despair from dull eyes, quicken lagging steps, and help our friends realize higher purposes for their lives.

And there you have Jewell's article which I hope was a blessing to you.  It sure was a blessing to the undersigned.

It might be of interest for you to know that Mr. Carver was a Christian.  In her book "Their Light Still Shines" by Luane Sasnack, she tells of an incident in which George appeared before one of the bodies of Congress (I forget now which one) in which he was pitching for funds to help poor Southern farmers, both black and white.  In his speech he credited God for giving him the talents to revolutionize agriculture.  It also might be of interest for you to know that on a late night CBS radio show on September 21, 1939 called "Men At Work," he was interviewed.  I have a copy of that program.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing another daily thought message will be presented, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul