[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Monday, July 28, 2014

Joanne Jordan jordanj229 at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 01:53:05 UTC 2014

Hello paul
I am getting your messages just fine!

-----Original Message-----
From: Faith-talk [mailto:faith-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Paul
via Faith-talk
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:14 PM
To: Spiritual discussion list
Subject: [Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Monday, July 28, 2014

Hello and good day to all my readers out there.  I hope that, when you read
this message, that you are all doing well today.

Before I continue, I need to know from at least one person that my messages
are getting through.  If they are not, then I'll just have to contact my
computer man which will necessitate in the absence of these daily messages.
I'm getting yours fine, but don't know why mine aren't getting through.  No
response means no delivery.  Thanks much for any responses.

Elise Seyfried, the author of this article you are about to read, is
Spiritual Director of Christian Formation at Christ' Lutheran Church in
Oreland PA.  Her article is entitled "The Faith of a Plebe" and is rendered
as follows:

Our long wait was over.  After a separation that began June 30, on a
mid-August weekend, we were finally reunited with our "plebe," US Naval
Academy Midshipman 4th Class Evan Seyfried.  Parents' weekend was a most
welcome chance to visit, to take Evan off the academy grounds (the "Yard")
for his first liberty, and to hear stories of his incredibly challenging
summer.

We were surrounded by other families equally thrilled to see their sons and
daughters, equally amazed at the transformations.  Casual amblers had become
brisk and purposeful walkers; "relaxed" housekeepers had become experts on
cleaning supplies and techniques; kids who couldn't remember last night's
dinner back home now could recite the King Hall daily menu verbatim.

I couldn't help but notice the parallels between Evan's experience and the
Christian life.

The navy's core values of honor, courage and commitment are the engines that
drive the academy.  The naval officer is held to a high standard and is
expected to hold himself to an even higher one.  Over four carefully planned
years, the students are expected to push themselves to new levels of
physical, mental, and moral development each day, so that after
commissioning they are prepared to lead others and to serve their
country--that is the ultimate goal.

The Christian life is also a challenge to be persons of honor, courage, and
commitment.  Grateful for the ultimate gift we have been given as children
of God, we show that gratitude by being good caretakers of our minds, our
bodies, and our souls.  We strive to make solid moral choices every day, to
lead by example, and to serve others before ourselves.

The plebe's journey begins on induction day.  Over 1000 teenagers are
outfitted in white uniforms, the boys' heads are shaved, and they plunge
right into their rigorous training.  That evening, they stand in Tecumseh
Court and take an oath of office and are enlisted in the US Navy.  Looking
at that sea of anxious and exhausted faces, it is clear that the oath is a
necessary--but only faintly understood--part of a very old ritual.  Even so,
that "I do" symbolizes the start of a very real commitment to an ideal, to
something greater than them.

The Christian journey begins with baptism.  The baby, like the plebe, is
garbed in white--and often bald! The baby is blessed, and his sponsors make
promises on the baby's behalf.  The child has become part of something
greater, a member of God's realm.  The baby doesn't understand--yet--but it
will.

Six weeks after Induction Day, an utterly transformed group of young men and
women gather once again for a Reaffirmation Ceremony.  Wearing dress whites,
they salute sharply and stand proudly, having survived the crucible of plebe
summer.  Once more they are asked to take the same oath.  This time their "I
do" is shouted, with much more confidence and conviction than before.  They
are beginning to learn what being a naval officer is all about.  They have
surprised themselves with the limits they have already overcome.  As
parents, we are deeply touched, and look ahead to the time four years from
now, when that same oath will mean still more to these fine young people,
because of the way they have lived.

The Christian formation that takes place through childhood, both at church
and at home, is another kind of crucible.  Through studying, nurturing,
example and trial, children learn how to live a life of value.  They come to
respect themselves and to respect others.  They learn to make good choices,
and so they grow in their faith as they grow physically.

On Confirmation Day, young people stand before their church family and
reaffirm their baptism.  They are dressed in their Sunday best, standing
proudly and confidently.  This time, they can speak and think for
themselves.  This time, they have come to some understanding of what those
words and promises mean.  And as they continue on this lifelong journey,
their lives will mean more and more as they struggle to walk with Christ.

The rewards of a life bathed in the love of God are incalculable.  This
journey is well worth taking.  But we all have to start somewhere.  A life
of faith begins with the first small step.  It begins with the faith of a
plebe.

And there you have Elise's article which I trust was a blessing to you.  I
realize that some of you are not of the Lutheran persuasion, but hopefully
you gained something from what Elise wrote.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe,
individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord
willing, tomorrow there will be another daily thought article, provided my
email problems can be fixed.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul