[Faith-talk] Satan and the Saint, Part 1 for 6/26/14

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:55:25 UTC 2014

Below you will read the first part of a nine-part serialized article by the late Dr. Ralph Montanus (1919-1986), founder of the Gospel Association for the Blind and published in its house organ, "The Gospel Messenger." Please let me know if you'd like to have this series on a daily basis or weekly and, if weekly, which day you would prefer.  If I receive no response to the contrary, I'll post the next part next Thursday to replace the Daily Thought articles.

This series was probably originally published in 1986, the year that Dr. Montanus went home to be with his Lord, and republished in 2004 and 2011.  Unfortunately I only have eight of the nine parts, but that's better than none, right?  And with that here we go with what sounds like the second part, but if it is I don't have Part One.

There are several mysteries in the Bible, one of which is "the mystery of iniquity."  Somehow, through the centuries, theologians have had great difficulty in endeavoring to understand Satan's role in the light of God's love and omnipotence.  One of the most baffling dilemmas is why God ever created Lucifer when He was perfectly cognizant that Lucifer would become Satan, the devil.

While we may theorize and speculate, yet there is no clear, concise answer to this question as to the reason for Satan's existence.  Thus, the Bible refers to him and his diabolical works as "the mystery of iniquity." It is quite clear that he is a created being.  That he rebelled against God sometime in the eons of the past is also clearly revealed in the Bible.  The Word of God also reveals that the origin of his rebellion against God took place in Heaven, at which time one-third of the angelic hosts rebelled with him.

As one begins to read the Book of Genesis, getting no further than the third chapter, he becomes conscious of the fact that the diabolical creature that caused the fall of man was in existence prior to the creation of man.  It is quite evident that the big lie foisted upon Eve accomplished this fall of man.  From the serpent's first encounter with Eve in the Garden of Eden, Satan has never ceased to harass those who belong to God and who are willing to serve the Lord and be obedient to Him.

All the saints have known what it is to engage in combat with Satan, to feel the fiery darts of the wicked one being hurled at them, and to know the great subtlety of Satan's tempting power.  Yet, in the final analysis, though we may understand the reality of Satan, the effects of his presence, and his terribly destructive ways, he is still a great insoluble mystery.

But a mystery also seems to indicate a solution.  Therefore, someday, somehow, the believer in Jesus Christ will truly understand why Almighty God permitted Satan to exist and to carry on his devious, cruel, and wicked deeds.  Until such a clear revelation is given, however, the mystery of iniquity will be at work.

Let us turn for a moment to II Thessalonians 2:3-10 where we read, "Let no man deceive you by any means:  for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.  Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.  For the mystery of iniquity doth already work:  only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.  And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of His mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming:  Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders.  And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved."

The above verses clearly reveal that there is still ahead in world history the hour when Satan will possess a man, who is characterized as the "man of sin," as well as "the antichrist," "The beast," and other titles.  These descriptive titles indicate that this individual in some sense will be Satan incarnate.

You will remember that the title of this article is "Satan and the Saint." In the scriptural sense, every true believer in the Lord Jesus Christ is a saint.  This is readily seen in the Epistles of the apostles, when they directed their introductory remarks to the saints in the various churches or towns addressed.  We realize that conditions will grow no better, but that iniquity will increase.  Sin will become more rampant and bold than ever before, and eventually, for a very brief season, Satan will control the world's populace.  This will occur through the individual, the "man of sin," who will come upon the world scene to rule all who dwell upon the face of the earth.

For centuries, Christians have endeavored to understand what is meant by "the mark of the beast" or the "Man of Sin" who is represented by the number 666.  Yet, today, it is becoming most apparent that every sign and evidence are converging to cry out with no uncertain sound that the climax of history draws near.

What attitude should the true saint take toward Satan, his archenemy? Let us examine some Scriptures that answer this question.

In I Peter 5:8 and 9, we see that the saint of God is commanded to resist Satan.  "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour; Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world."

Likewise, in James 4:7, we find, "Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

While Satan may be one of those spiritual imponderables, one thing is extremely clear, and that is that the saint does have the authority and ability to resist him.  It is not that the saint can do so because of what he himself is in his own power; but it is because the saint in indwelt by another Person, who at present withholds Satan from taking over completely.  That Person is the Blessed Holy Spirit.

For this reason, the Apostle John exhorts the believer in I John 4:4:  "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them:  because greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world."

Thus, it is plainly revealed that the believer in Jesus Christ, being indwelt by the Holy Spirit, is more than a match for Satan.  In fact, the child of God who is filled with the Holy Spirit, controlled by the Holy Spirit, and governed by the Holy Spirit, is enabled to resist Satan, not only at the point of Satan's advance, but is also capable of resisting him to the extent of Satan's fleeing from him.

Could it be that we have so lost sight of the church militant and the blessed reality of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that we have permitted ourselves to lose sight of the true power and authority we have as saints over our great adversary, Satan?

And there you have the first part of this series.  I pray that you were fed with strong meat relevant to solving any problems directly or indirectly caused by the devil.  Again, let me know if you'd like these messages to be posted weekly or daily.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul