[Faith-talk] Blindness in wise terms.

justin williams via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Tue May 20 16:29:49 UTC 2014

Well said sir; Well said.

-----Original Message-----
From: Faith-talk [mailto:faith-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Mostafa
via Faith-talk
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:20 PM
To: andrewjedg at gmail.com; faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Faith-talk] Blindness in wise terms.

Dearfriend Andrew, peace be with you.

This is Mostafa your friend from Egypt.

I just read your post on the faith talk list.

I understood that you are a bit disappointed and I hope that my words will
inshallah make you feel a bit better.

First and foremost, let me courteously disagree with you.

Blindness is not a state of penalty or retribution.
Allah glory be to Him does not punish people with being blind, deaf or
handicapped.

Would you please excuse my expressions, but this is a quite negative
stereotype.

Blindness is not a disability, but a living condition.

I am sharing my word of advice with you, with the faith talk list, and with
everyone of my blind and sighted friends.

I just have undisclosed them for privacy.

So listen Andrew, and so all who receive this message near and far.

There are many prejudicial thoughts about blind people.

Some of them are incorrectly assumed by the mass opinion, whilst many others
are actually promoted and escalated by blind people themselves.

I want to specifically focus on the latter.

I believe we need to remind ourselves about the proper sphere  of blindness.
Sightless eyes are not the sign of thoughtless minds.

I have been living as a blind person since birth.

I have faith in my intellectual factors and what I can do.

Some people though are not very convinced of that.

   Well, who cares?

I believe you mentioned you live in Canada.

As I understand, Canada is a very good place for blind people.

Well at least, it is much better than here in Egypt.

I believe you just need to contact one of the  chapters of the Canadian
federation of the blind  where you live or the CNIB, and they will certainly
be glad and competent to support you with providing positive advocacy and
encouraging motivation.

This was my first point.

My second point is that you should and could cope with your state of
tediousness by engaging into beneficial and interesting activities.

Such as computer and adaptive technology, sport related activities, reading
clubs, mobility training, practicing a hobby you like, playing music, or
anything that makes you feel better, and it helps you gaining more
confidence about yourself as a blind person.

My third point, do not post your complaint in public environments.

If you do not have intimate mates that you can talk to, then I suggest that
you may seek for the assistance of social counciling or religious ministry
that is affiliated to the faith you belong to.

My fourth point, have a goal to work for in your life.

Trust me Andrew and so anyone who reads this, life without a goal is a body
without a soul.

You will feel quite different about yourself if you have a life dream to
achieve.

It is hard changing yourself, but absolutely it is not impossible.

The skeptic attitude  should not have an impact on you.

Do not be indulged with the fear of failure, but you should rather replace
that with the hope of success.

Represent an idea, a possibility.

Challenge the circumstances and prevent them from determining your destiny.

Get all discouragers out of your life, redefine your values, and have a
vision.

Turn on a candle rather than cursing the dark.

Finally, I have included in the list of my undisclosed recipients two
respectful blind friends who live in Canada.

They can contact you for additional help.

I am really sorry, I wish I could have done more than that.

Thank you Andrew, and peace be with you.