[Faith-talk] Church and culture, a good read

Poppa Bear via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Thu May 22 17:26:45 UTC 2014

Below is an article that I was just reading over a hot cup of coffee and as
I read it, several points struck me as running along the same vein as some
things that have been talked about on this list this last week, so I thought
that I would share. If the article is not read in it's entirety, it will
still be informative and thought provoking I believe.

Enjoy,

       Stuart McAllister

                  The Church and Culture in the 21st Century

            In our last issue of Just Thinking, I gave an overview of some
major

            issues and concerns that have been central to western culture
since

            its early beginnings, and which continue to affect both church
and

            society to this day. I'd like to continue looking at church and

            culture issues, with the particular challenge faced when one of
two

            things happens. First, when the church and individual Christians

            become so enamored with the spirit and rationale of the age that
we

            or they eagerly conform to it and its standards; or second, when
we

            are so repulsed by the standards and issues of the age that we
seek

            to totally disengage and live as far removed from cultural
issues or

            influences as is practically possible.

            The first approach leads to issues of adaptation and compromise;
the

            second to isolation and irrelevance. We have seen and continue

            see both at work in our day. I was conversing with one of my

            colleagues here at RZIM, when I commented that the most common
issue

            I have come across personally, and which we are asked to comment
on

            as a team in our seminars, is the irrelevance of much that
passes as

            "church" to the felt needs or life issues of many who faithfully

            attend. Now I do not seek to attack the church or stand outside

            throwing stones, but rather as a serious believer and in empathy

            with these many others who are serious and committed, I seek to

            explore what is missing, some possible reasons why, and to ask,
What

            is to be done?

            I am reminded of how the philosopher Immanuel Kant was jolted
into

            action by reading the critical works of the Scottish skeptic
David

            Hume. Kant said he "was awakened from his dogmatic slumbers." In
the

            highly popular movie, The Matrix, the character Neo (Keanu
Reeves)

            goes through an awakening and discovers that life as he knows it
is

            an illusion, a massive deception foisted on him. I cannot help
but

            wonder if we urgently need a fresh "awakening" to first of all
see

            how things really are, and then, to reach out to God afresh for

            renewed passion, vision, and alternatives as we face the
whitewater

            pressure of an ever changing culture.

            So what is missing? I guess if I could pin it down, I would
describe

            it as the suffocation or domestication of transcendence. The
faith

            has been rationalized, explained, explored, and defined to such

            degree that it appears as if "intellectual apprehension" is all
that

            is required of true believers. Values such as accuracy, detail,
and

            correct beliefs have taken center stage. And yet, the lack of

            embodied practice or faithful expression is surely evidence that
our

            beliefs are at best incomplete. The believer has then been

            mobilized, analyzed, categorized and socialized into conformity
to a

            variety of standards or systems defined within diverse

            denominational structures and orientations. The church is then

            organized, institutionalized and immunized so that she can stand
as

            a light to the world, but well shielded from pollution or
compromise

            from the surrounding culture.

            In contrast, in the Incarnation "The Word became flesh and dwelt

            among us" (Jn. 1:14). God does not see our lives and cultures as

            something to be abhorred and avoided, but to be entered,
challenged,

            and transformed. The error of some sects (such as the Pharisees
and

            Essenes in biblical times) was a form of isolation and distance

            based in concepts of uniqueness, particularity, and holiness,
but

            which were in fact distortions, and not a faithful expression of

            God's clear intent. For some unexplained reason, a movement that

            begins with the presence and activity of God is slowly but
surely

            changed into a rationalized and human-centered system. We all to

            easily see the hypocrisies and errors of the Pharisees and
whatever

            its forms are in our time; but we seldom notice the ongoing
tendency

            to distort or redefine the Faith to fit our comfort zones or
current

            tastes. For we have not yet adequately addressed the underlying

            issues, nor it seems have we found a working model that holds
the

            tension between holiness and engagement effectively. Yet surely
me

            must consider the biblical models before us, such as the Apostle

            Paul. In I Cor. 9:19-23 he speaks of his passion for the Gospel
and

            of his desire to find ways to build bridges to others "that he
might

            win some" (v. 22).

            In his book Deliver Us From Evil, Ravi writes about the
processes of

            pluralization, privatization, and secularization, and how we see

            these at work in the culture. These categories help us to
capture

            experiences and processes of change going on around us, that we

            struggle to comprehend and face. Yet (as Ravi and others have
noted)

            in our legitimate scrutiny of the issues and concerns around us,
are

            we failing to look at the church and our own lives through the
same

            lenses? I think if we did so honestly and reflectively, we would
see

            the secularization of the church is as much a problem as the

            secularization of the culture.

            Let me cautiously, but I hope compassionately, cite some
examples.

            The current fascination with "seeker" approaches to church
services

            has led to many valuable and innovative strategies to connect
with

            unchurched people. However, it is also easy to detect a

            preoccupation with relevance, with performance replacing
spiritual

            leadership, and with entertainment and excellence drowning out

            reverence for God and the messy interactions of congregations
that

            truly reflect "sinners saved by grace." I am also concerned by
the

            lack of value placed on central theological themes such as the

            Trinity and Christology, of the value and role of church
history,

            and of the almost total disregard of the councils and
confessions

            that are part of the roots and essence of the living church.

            Managerial, entrepreneurial, and messianic illusions can lead us

            a subtle but sure departure from the central core and focus of
the

            Faith. A preoccupation with "man at the center," with our skills
and

            responsibility, with techniques and technology can lead to the

            displacement of God, and the replacement of confidence and

            expectation on divine resources and intervention by reliance on

            self, effort, and human wisdom. As Harry Blamires has written,
"We

            must not exploit our faith by advertising it as a technique for

            achieving earthly satisfactions. The Faith is not a recipe and
not a

            program. It is a Way. Recipes and programs are made to help you

            carry out earthly jobs successfully. But a way is something you
walk

            in."

            How often God's people have had to learn the lesson of "first
things

            first": that is, seeking God above all else (see Joshua 9).
Although

            we do know the Lord and sincerely desire to do what is right, we

            still tend to seek our own wisdom first, rather than seeking the

            mind of the Lord. I realize we face a paradox between doing
nothing

            until we have had in-depth prayer versus simply acting on what
we

            know. Yet the issue I am trying to explore lies in the subtle
zone

            where nuance is everything-where we do discern when to act on

            reasonable assumptions and where we do know when the most needed

            thing to do is to stop, pray, and ask.

            I can hear the objections being raised, as there is another side

            this issue-those who live in a world of mystical preoccupation.
They

            seem to have a hotline to heaven and give the impression that
their

            intimacy with the Holy Spirit is more substantial than their

            relationships with others. All human effort is disparaged, the
use

            of means mocked, and the disparaging of reason, education, and

            rationality encouraged. Yet this is not the alternative I am

            proposing. A retreat into "otherworldliness" is no less
problematic

            and ineffective than a descent into worldliness. Perhaps this

            highlights the difficulty of integrating and balancing the two

            dimensions of our lives. Yet surely this was answered for us by
the

            example, life, and model of the Lord Jesus, who was and is both

            "perfect man and perfect God" at the same time-a living

            demonstration and model of the new humanity.

            The interaction of heaven and earth and the dynamic tension of
these

            are what we speak of when we discuss God as both transcendent
and

            immanent . The impact of secularization, I believe, has been to

            create a cleavage between these two and to foster a false
dualism in

            our lives, as we separate the world into "sacred" zones and

            activities, and "secular" ones. In the movie Gladiator, the
Roman

            cosmology was powerfully illustrated. As the Roman army is
poised to

            engage the powerful tribal warriors, the hero Maximus tells his
men,

            "What we do here today echoes in eternity." Throughout the
movie, we

            see the dynamic interaction of the two dimensions that gives a

            wholeness to life and is an inspiration to the courageous
actions on

            earth!

            True spirituality must live within the complexities, challenges,
and

            ambiguities of a Spirit-led faith that is rooted on the earth,
or as

            Stuart Briscoe used to say, "Faith with boots on." The impact of

            secularization and rationalization is so insidious and so subtle

            that we are often unable to discern their influence. Exposure to

            Christians in other contexts and countries often surprises or
amazes

            us, especially when they are serious and devoted to prayer,
spend

            extensive time in worship and fellowship, and seem very
confident in

            what God can and will do in the normal run of things.

            Perhaps we are so qualified, skilled, and self-motivated, that
we

            don't need any help or assistance? And yet I truly believe that
the

            hunger for God that is expressed but seldom met, the impact that
is

            desired but seldom achieved, and the transformation that is
called

            for and preached about but so rarely seen, is due to a failure
in

            delivery, not necessarily in ideas. Books, tapes, videos, and

            seminars abound on anything and everything relating to the
latest

            "how to" issue, but multitudes carry on untouched, unfulfilled,
and

            thirsty for an encounter and deep knowledge of the living God. I
am

            reminded of the words of the prophet Haggai to the people of
God,

            that though they sowed much there was little harvest; though
they

            earned wages, it went into a purse with holes. What then was the

            prophet's admonition? Consider your ways! (Haggai 1:4-7). Are we

            (particularly those in church leadership and active ministry)
truly

            willing to evaluate, to ask hard questions, and to face the need
for

            change? I realize this is a sensitive issue, but it seems clear
that

            in many instances our hunger for God is not met. We have become
able

            and gifted in utilizing the latest technologies and
techniques-which

            I do believe can be vehicles for an encounter with God. However,
the

            deep taste of God's presence and anointing that put the prophets
on

            their faces (David, for example) and that overwhelmed seekers in

            many revivals (the Hebrides, the Great Awakening) is all to
rarely

            experienced despite our sophistication. I truly wonder, Is our

            experience of God so deficient that we have lost even the
capacity

            to know what it is we are missing?

            Why has this happened? How did we get here? I believe that we
have

            tremendous insight available within the church that charts the

            history and experience of the church in the modern and now

            postmodern age. The battles that raged for faithfulness, for a
high

            view of scripture, for the role and centrality of biblical

            convictions in guiding morality, among others, have been

            well-documented and the issues thoroughly outlined. From J.
Gresham

            Machen to Charles Colson, we have had many examples of highly
gifted

            and educated believers who were serious about the life of the
church

            and passionate about the need to impact the culture.

            I personally feel that evangelicals have been good at
understanding

            "bad ideas" and dangerous philosophies, and very poor at

            understanding or grasping the impact of everyday processes and

            interactions that subtly but surely transform us. Let me
illustrate

            with the terrible tragedy in the Ukraine, when the nuclear
reactor

            at the Chernobyl plant caught fire. Millions went about their

            everyday business as usual, cooking, working, and going to
school,

            unaware and uninformed that an unseen but deadly element was

            unleashed all around them. Something was happening that was
changing

            the atmosphere and the essential conditions for life. Thousands
were

            affected, and many died, all the while unaware of the slow
poisoning

            from concealed deadly forces.

            I cannot help but sense that this serves as a useful metaphor
for

            our times. The values and assumptions within our modern ways of

            living steadily but surely redefine things for us. Perhaps the
most

            powerful exposition of these processes and challenges is
addressed

            by Craig M. Gay in The Way of the Modern World. Writers such as
Os

            Guinness, Lesslie Newbigin, Francis Schaeffer, David Wells, Ravi
and

            a host of others have provided tremendous insight and
orientation on

            our current challenges and on how ideas-and I would add,

            influences--have consequences.

            In addition to the wisdom of these gifted teachers and speakers,
we

            also have a tremendous resource from the history and experience
of

            missions and missionaries. This has been sadly neglected, yet is

            reservoir of insight and skill much needed at this time. It is
of

            some interest that the accumulated experience and knowledge
gained

            by the US forces in the Pacific, particularly in terms of
amphibious

            landings, was underutilized in the preparations for the Normandy

            landings in Europe-and at great cost. Are we perhaps doing
something

            similar in the western church in relation to missionary
experience?

            The battles with spiritual powers, the struggle with
communication

            and translation, the long uphill road in church planting and

            transformation as the Gospel enters and engages new cultures has

            been well documented and serves as vital instruction much needed
in

            our current context. Missionaries have poured out their lives,

            prayed without ceasing, mobilized others to pray for
breakthroughs,

            and by God's amazing grace and generosity, have seen lives and

            cultures transformed.

            I was just reading a Christianity Today article on evangelicals
and

            history, and in recent years I have read countless others on

            evangelicals and work, evangelicals and politics, evangelicals
and

            science, etc. They are all similar in some respects. They
address

            the lack of "perceived impact" in the particular area, yet cite
the

            highly skilled Christian practitioners eager for change in the

            various disciplines or activities. I cannot but feel these are
all

            subsets of the bigger and all embracing issue of the church and

            culture. Perhaps we tend to rationalize too quickly, rather than

            exploring ways to find one another, to seek God's face, and to

            repent of self-confidence, pride, and spiritual apathy.

            What then is to be done? A number of years ago, the British

            theologian and preacher John Stott remarked in a lecture in
Brussels

            on the tendency of Christians to lament the degradation and
decline

            of the culture or society. Stott said, "We should not ask, 'What
is

            wrong with the world?' for that diagnosis has already been
given.

            Rather we should ask, 'What has happened to the salt and
light?'"

            (Mt 5:13-16). Surely this is both biblical and of urgent

            contemporary relevance. We must seek God's renewing grace and
power

            in our lives, our churches, our Christian organizations, and our

            culture.

            In 1989 we witnessed an event that was as important as it was

            symbolic, the tearing down of the Berlin Wall. For about 30
years,

            the wall had divided Germany into two countries and the more

            extensive "Iron Curtain" split Europe in two and came to
symbolize

            the two opposing systems of capitalism and communism. With the

            destruction of the wall, families were reunited and new

            possibilities (and problems) emerged. It is this symbol of
bondage

            to freedom, of oppression to liberty, of a one-size-fits-all

            approach contrasted with the diversity that makes for a more
open

            and liberal society, that I believe should inspire us. The

            transformation-though less than needed-was significant and
profound.

            What would be the equivalent of the "Berlin Wall" in our
context? Is

            it perhaps an unconscious elevation of man-centeredness over

            God-centeredness in our thinking, planning, and actions? Are we

            witnessing what Jacques Ellul, the French theologian and writer,

            described as "the triumph of technique"? Has the influence and

            heritage of William James' pragmatism subtly but surely led us
into

            an unconscious but deeply held self- reliance? The church
reformers

            coined the phrase ecclesia reformata semper reformanda, "the

            reformed church always reforming." God the Holy Spirit has not
left

            us alone, and the "story," the church's journey across history,
is

            not yet over. I have often been inspired by how God raises up

            leaders with vision in times of great need (Deborah, Gideon,

            Nehemiah). Perhaps we need not some grand organization or
strategy,

            but multiple grassroots movements of God's people seeking the
fresh

            winds of His spirit, renewed vision and passion, and an impact
on

            lives and cultures for the glory of God I would not be
triumphalist

            and call for some simple and all embracing solution to the
massive

            challenges and complexities that face us today. I would,
however, be

            confident to urge us all afresh, as individuals, as churches,
and as

            organizations, to give serious thought to this moment, our

            stewardship, and God's will. The prophet Jeremiah said it so
well:

            ""You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all
your

            heart." (Jer. 29:13.)

             C 2003 Ravi Zacharias International Ministries. All Rights

            Reserved.