[Faith-talk] Short blerbs in my morning reading PT 3

Poppa Bear via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 15:52:29 UTC 2014

Consider Sir Thomas More in A Man For All Seasons, when he was

            imprisoned for not supporting his king in an immoral venture.
His

            daughter comes to him and says, "Dad, why don't you at least in

            words say it is okay? You don't have to really mean it in your

            heart. Just verbally affirm what the king is doing. We can have
you

            back. They will let you out of this prison."

            Sir Thomas More looks at his daughter and says, "Meg, you don't

            understand! You don't understand what it means to give your
word."

            He says, "When you give somebody your word, it is like taking
your

            life and holding it in your hands. You are cupping your life in
your

            hands when you are giving them your word. And should you let
that

            word fall through, you will look down and not find yourself
there."