[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:47:48 UTC 2014

Hello and good Wednesday for most of us as this is being written, and a good Thursday morning to you folks in Australia and New Zealand.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that you are all doing well today.

Have you ever in your life been in a situation where procrastination, or putting off something you know you should have done, was the name of the game? I'd say that, if we were honest with ourselves, we would have to admit that we've been there and done that to one degree or another.  Nancy Hoag wrote a short article for Decision magazine entitled "The Art of Putting Off Prayer," rendered as follows:

I don't remember what I thought was so important that first morning I decided to skip devotions and get to work instead.

The second day I mentally listed excuses for putting my Bible aside again.  "But," I promised, "I'll read and pray and study later."

By the third day avoiding my quiet time was quite easy.  No excuses, silent or otherwise.  No promises.  I simply didn't pray.

I had much on my mind with holidays creeping up on my calendar and our children soon flying home.  Besides, the weekend was coming.  I could spend a long Saturday afternoon in the Word, instead of the usual thirty minutes first thing each day.  The Lord would understand.

However, the weekend was busier than I had anticipated.  Saturday began with breakfast out.  Then, since we were already on the road, my husband suggested that we deal with errands and shop for gifts.  Noon came and we were hungry, so we ate lunch out as well.  Back home, we discovered it was nearly time to dress for dinner with friends.

"Tomorrow, Lord," I whispered as I got ready for my shower and laid out a fresh suit.

Tomorrow came, but my quiet time did not.  Yes, I went to church, listened to the pastor, and "prayed" along with him.  But time alone with the Lord? I never found a minute that I thought I could spare.

Meanwhile, my work began to feel like an unpleasant chore.  All over my desk were scraps of paper on which I had written ideas for articles.  There were deadlines to meet.  But instead of turning to the Lord to ask for His help, I told myself, "If I just pop into my office earlier each morning and return to work after dinner, I'll catch up."

But Christmas arrived and so did our children, and I hadn't caught up.  By New Year's Day, a day when I usually feel I'm off and flying with a fresh start, my goals seemed too far beyond me.

"I'll never make it as a writer," I lamented to my spouse.  "At my age, why even try?"

I began to feel that my entire world was falling apart.  At first I wept.  Later I raved.  And then one morning, unable to work, I finally dropped to my knees.  "Lord, why am I in the pits?"

I found His answer in my prayer journal when I opened it and discovered five weeks' worth of blank sheets.

Someone has said that a journey begins with a single step.  That is exactly how mine began.  I had meant only to postpone one morning's quiet time, but that particular day I never became still at all.  On the second and third days I made the same excuses and promised that I'd get back on track soon.  But for more than a month I had not spent one tranquil minute before the Lord.  It showed.

"Lord," I whispered, "forgive me.  I can't manage on my own.  I need this time with You, I need You to quiet me, I need You to direct my thoughts.  I can't do my work without You.  You are the reason for my work."

Within minutes, peace came.  I sensed a new direction.  I settled back into my chair and began to type.

I praise God that I learned a great deal through this experience:  I may choose to teach, bake wedding cakes or write.  But my quiet time can never become a matter of choice.  I must begin each day quietly praying and listening.  Then the Lord will direct my paths and joy will come again--every morning.

And there you have Nancy's article which I trust was food for thought and action on your part today.

In a somewhat round-about manner, a person who will remain anonymous gave me a clue to revitalize my quiet time.  She suggested that, first thing in the morning with my computer turned off and all outside noises and distractions kept to a bare minimum, even before I have breakfast, that I spend quality quiet time with my Lord.  And do you know what? I felt more invigorated and not as tired and worn out even at midday as I previously had, all because I chose a bit of quiet time with the Master.  If you are in the same place as I was, why not try it? How long should your quiet time be? That is up to you and the Lord.  No one can tell you a specific time period for this.  Somedays it might be longer, and other days shorter.  At least that's the way I have it personally.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be yet another daily thought article for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul