[Faith-talk] confronting someone who hurt you-smart move?

Christine Olivares rafael4490 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:59:09 UTC 2015

Yeah I agree. It seems to me you want your prior aide to have some guilt, but what will that do for you? See, he probably thinks he was in the right even if you think he was in the wrong. You don’t have him as an aide anymore, so why have a grudge against what happened in the past? It’s just that, the past. There is always a future, and that is what you focus on.

Forgiveness is very important, not for your prior aide’s sake but yours. Your not forgiving him won’t do anything for him. He doesn’t care if you forgive him or not, so it’s not getting back at him for anything. Forgiveness is only for you. What is the real reason you are wanting to confront him? If it is to understand where he was coming from and to have a new friendship or just want some closure, that is one thing. But if you are doing it to make him feel bad or guilty, it won’t get you anywhere. It makes you incredibly immature if you talk to him the wrong way. The reason I say this, and I know it can be harsh, is because I have tried confronting people, and it only made things worse. I did it in an unhealthy, immature way and not the adult or young adult should.

I doubt you telling him how hurt you were would do anything, but if you ask him why he did what he did, you may learn some things. When people treat you “wrongly,” you have a lot to learn about yourself, and there is always wisdom in the way people treat you. So maybe reflect on it. Maybe you are being taught forgiveness, patience, etc. Hope this helps.

Christine