[Faith-talk] The Principle of Wu Wei

Brandon A. Olivares programmer2188 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 15:33:42 UTC 2015

Poppa Bear,

I appreciate your point, and I see how you might come to that conclusion. But, I can only say that my own experience of life from an impersonal stance has been far from how you describe it.

First, yes, there is no purpose. The Hindus call it lila, which means the divine play. It is because it is, and that’s all we need to know.

For you, that might be depressing, but for me, I see it as freeing. You are free to live this life in the way you choose. You are free to make of it as much or as little as you like.

I don’t understand why people want life to have purpose. It is enough that we are here, in this present moment. It is enough that we exist, that we can be typing these messages to one another.

Indeed, there is no right or wrong, light or dark, up or down, etc. It is the mind that constructs these stories about needing these opposites. When you come to really face it, you see nothing but beauty. Everything is beautiful in the mere act of existing. I need nothing else from life but to be what it is. Why complicate things with these ideas of right/wrong, light/dark, good/evil and the rest?

Your mind wants this to have importance. It wants this to count for something. The fact of meaninglessness is often too much to handle. What is “meaning”? Why should we have more “meaning” than a squirt of water as you say, or as a star far out there in the galaxy? It all has its course, it’s cycle, it’s flow, its place in the universe. I don’t see it as degrading us as “humans”, but as dignifying all of creation equally. For if it all has the Divine spark at its center, in its essence, then it all is holy. The whole universe is a temple, and we can do nothing but worship. The difference is that I worship existence itself, the very fact of beingness. That is enough for me; that is the wonder of creation. You need a story behind it, a God, an all-powerful being to make it all right.

That “breath of life”, the “touch of magic” is in everything. We have no claim to it anymore than, say, an ant or a tree. The Native Americans thought that all objects, even inanimate ones, had spirits. A rock had a spirit. The Earth had a spirit. And I think in a sense they were right. All things have life, even if they appear to us to be dead or inanimate.

You spoke of commitment, loyalty, and why not just live however we like? Because, it is not an external morality that makes you live as you do. I think, however much you say otherwise, that you would live almost exactly the same. NO matter the laws, no matter the religious ordinances, there are still murderers. There are still cheaters. And there are still those who are loyal and committed. The laws have very little to do with it.

But then again, and here I’ll probably shock you again, but I really don’t believe in marriage. I believe in relationship, but I don’t believe that two people should suffer together for the sake of a “higher” ideal they agreed to however many decades ago.

I’ll give a good example. Christine’s parents were separated when she was 15, after 26 years of marriage. They just made the divorce official a few years ago. At a glance it looks tragic. But now her father is remarried to an excellent woman, with whom he is much happier than he was in his first marriage. We had the privilege of going to their wedding last year. Do I think he should have stayed with his first wife simply because a vow they had made 26 years before? No, I don’t. It was a painful process, but he came through a better person, married to someone who really supports him.

Honestly if I had my way, a marriage contract would last 5 years. After that time, the couple would be asked if they wanted to remain together, or separate with no further trouble. They’d have to ask themselves, “are our goals still aligned?” “Is this still the person I can see myself living with in the long term?” And so forth.

Anyway, that’s just my view. Then again, I see myself staying with my wife forever. Why? Not because of any moral ideal, or any law. Simply because I love her. I don’t need anything from her for that love to be present. We are about as different as two people can possibly be, but I still love her equally.

If you choose to love someone, love them. Love them not because of what they do or who they are, but because you know their true essence. Anything less than that is conditional love, and there’s really no room for that. Give them the freedom to be who they are, whether or not you agree or even like it. If we choose to have children, I want to give them the freedom to be who they want to be. I want to let them make their own decisions, with guidance from us if they want it. I want them to know we will love them no matter the decisions they make.

Again, I don’t think anything less than that is really love. Just my view on it.

And for the record, you didn’t come across as condescending in the least. I rather enjoy the discussion. :)

---
Peace,
Brandon

Awaken To Silence <http://www.awakentosilence.org/>: Awaken To The Silence That Has Always Been Within You