[Faith-talk] prayers needed for a friend in Iowa group home situation

Beth Taurasi denverqueen1107 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 12 03:41:51 UTC 2015

Dear list,
I'm doing my darndest for someone in need of help.  I have gotten to
know a great guy in Iowa, no he's not my boyfriend, but just a good
friend.  He always cracked open beers, root beers, when Blake and I were
online together.  HE is currently dating a young lady in Michigan named
KeeKee.  Nick, the guy in question, however, is living in a restrictive
group home that violated his civil rights recently.  He was denied
access to a computer and phone due to "disorderly conduct" on his part
and also because I wrote something on Facebook, and I'd emailed the past
president of the NFB of Iowa hoping to get an answer, but then I lost
it.  I emailed and texted various people, but now I'm about to do
something more.  Pray.  I need prayers and advice here.  I feel that
Nick's civil rights are violated, and the staff have manipulated him to
say that I need to stop.  He was nearly arrested and the cops were
there.  I'm sorry, but HEPA applies only to him, not Keekee.  The thing
of it is, I reported an incident with a roommate, name not shown here,
and I don't feel comfortable stopping what I'm doing right now.  In
fact, I won't stop because he's now suffering in isolation, being
emotionally abused and misused at work.  Concern Incorporated is a
workshop where he works, and I have a friend who knows him, a coworker.
The female coworker is my only link besides KeeKee to him.  I won't
write the other lady's name here for fear of this HEPA garbage.  It has
its place, but this is a case similar to the Boys of Attalissa.  I will
email all of you guys a link in a future post.  I think it's also on the
NFB blog about fair labor.  However, the Henrys boys were abused in much
the same fashion as Nick is. He's being denied church or places he wants
to go now, and he had a friend tell me to stop.  Well, do I stop and let
someone suffer? No.  I am also asking all of us to pray that God
intervenes and helps Nick win back all civil rights.  My idea of a
lawsuit would go something like this: free Nick to a person centered
home where he can make choices.  He needs to work for competitive
wages.  He is only getting a really low take home pay, under a hundred
per month. NFB, keep fighting for fair labor so guys like Nick don't
have to suffer like this.  If anyone wants to reply on here or off list,
that's fine.  But I need some steps to take so I'm not overwhelmed. I
have a work adjustment to do on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I'm also
trying to get rid of the stuff I"m going through, I won't post here
about it.  Nick is under the antiquated guardianship system the NFB now
opposes.  Nick does have some mental issues with anger, but that anger
is understandably pointed at his dad and parents.  His dad doesn't know
me and I should have told him, you're violating your son's civil rights
by having the guardianship and placing him in a home that doesn't
respect him or his property.  The dad also put a padlock program on both
pone and computer so Nick doesn't have the freedom to use it to his
advantage.  HE doesn't have any friends now he can talk with, except for
us on the Skype chat he had.  We were told this would happen, and Keekee
is heartbroken.  I"m tempted to put a petition on the INternet for him,
something on Change dot org.  I also want to email NASGA.  They advocate
for an end to guardianship in the way we know it today.  They want
person centered guardianship, which I'm sure NFB is in favor of.
Guys, I need thoughts and advice on this matter.  Thank you very much
for all your prayers.  I will update all of you on my friend's progress
as I see fit.  Iwans on this list may contact me at the following
contact info at the bottom of my email.
Sincerely,
Beth Taurasi
NFB of Denver
720-435-7407
P.S. I"m sorry if I bothered anyone with this.  But this is dire. I'm so
sorry.

--
Check out my Wordpress blog: denverqueen.wordpress.com or you can reach me by skype at denverqueen0920