[Faith-talk] Church experiences

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 15:22:35 UTC 2015

Hey Greg, you are spot on.
thumbs up big man.

-----Original Message-----
From: Faith-talk [mailto:faith-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Greg
Aikens via Faith-talk
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2015 11:15 AM
To: Faith-talk, for the discussion of faith and religion
<faith-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Greg Aikens <gpaikens at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Faith-talk] Church experiences

Hi Poppa Bear,
Unless I misunderstand you, I disagree with you. Certainly the church
service only lasts a few hours a week and can be considered a small slice of
the pie, but when I think of being part of a church, I am thinking of being
a part of a church community. I think having a strong, loving, church
community around you is vital for walking out your faith. Some churches I
have attended did not place a high value or emphasis on this kind of
community and I often struggled to feel connected and part of the church
body, even when I had consistent transportation. When I needed to find a new
source of transportation because my friends moved away, I felt even less a
part of the community as I struggled to find someone who was willing to give
me a ride. These experiences were painful, discouraging, and hindered my
walk with God as I grew resentful.

On the other hand, I have attended churches, like my current church, that
place a high emphasis on community and living out your faith with other
believers. I spend much more time with people from my church during the week
and rarely struggle to find a ride. The first time I visited, I used uber to
get to church. Without my asking or mentioning, someone offered me a ride
home and to go watch the game after church.  I am part of the community and
often have to turn down offers of a ride to church because someone beat them
to it. It is a much different experience and it has made a tremendous
difference in my spiritual life to have others to walk out my faith with, to
encourage and be encouraged by, etc. .

All that to say, having a good church community goes a lot farther in my
mind than just a few hours a week. It can be difficult to find this kind of
community, particularly with transportation issues, but those churches do
exist and it is possible for us as blind people to participate fully.

Best,
Greg

<faith-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> Thanks Rob, remember that Church is only one slice of the pie, a few
> hours a week at the most, it's the other slices that I imagine we all
> have even more struggles with.

class about getting involved in the prison ministry.