[Faith-talk] Nails In The Fence

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu Aug 4 17:28:53 UTC 2016

As I wite this, it's early afternoon on Thursday, August 4 and, as
promised yesterday, here's an article featuring a little girl which I
hope you all will enjoy and receive a blessing from reading this article.

There once was a little girl who had a bad temper.  Her mother gave her
a bag of nails and told her that every time she lost her temper, she
must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the girl had driven 37 nails into the fence.  Over the
next few weeks, as she learned to control her anger, the number of
nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down.  She discovered it was
easier to hold her temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the girl didn't lose her temper at all.  She
told her mother about it and the mother suggested that the girl now
pull out one nail for each day that she was able to hold her temper.
The days passed and the young girl was finally able to tell her mother
that all the nails were gone.  The mother took her daughter by the hand
and led her to the fence.  She said, "You have done well, my daughter,
but look at the holes in the fence.  The fence will never be the same.
When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one."

You can put a knife in a person and draw it out.  It won't matter how
many times you say "I'm sorry," the wound is still there.  A verbal
wound is as bad as a physical one.

Friends are very rare jewels, indeed.  They make you smile and
encourage you to succeed.  Please forgive me if I have ever left a hole
in your fence.

And there you have the article for today, but before I go I'd like to
tell you about the little girls who have driven positive nails into my
heart and life.

The first two are named Mylan and Dylan, one perhaps three years old
and the other nearly four.  When we had our Christian singles
fellowship locally, one time everyone was busy doing one thing and
another, when one of them took my hand and said one word:  "Ball."
After a while I reasoned that they wanted me to go with them to the
farthest reaches of the yard of our hosts to throw the ball and have
one of them catch it.  Now that may be just something trivial, but
these little lassies knew something that sighted adults of my
acquaintance didn't or wouldn't admit to, and that is leaving me out of
the total church picture when it comes to fellowship.  These two little
girls are now reunited with their mother; I don't know about the father.

The other little girl is named Kinley, six months old, who can't eat
normally because of something blocking food from getting into her
little tummy, and thus she has to use a feeding tube.  Last Friday she
was in a swing enjoying the time of day and I sat down next to her,
just waiting for the other Christian singles to join us for a meal and
Bible study.  Well, I started talking baby talk, and the host, Scott,
said that Kinley was really looking at me as if I were maybe a new
playmate or something.  After a while she took my right hand in her two
little ones and began examining something that she found fascinating, a
Braille watch.  Can't remember how long our physical interaction
lasted, but it must have been around five minutes.  It felt really good
to "belong" to someone, even if she was only six months old.

And there you have today's post for now.  Until tomorrow when, Lord
willing we present an article illustrating the perceptiveness of little
children, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe,
individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.
Your Christian friend and brother, Paul