[Faith-talk] {Spam?} The Last Runner

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu Aug 11 17:06:41 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings to you all once again on a Thursday.  I hope that
your day is going well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Since we are now enjoying the Olympics, and since this is a summertime
story, I thought it would be very appropriate to post it.

The annual marathon in my town usually occurs during a heat wave.  My
job was to follow behind the runners in an ambulance in case any of
them needed medical attention.  The driver and I were in an
air-conditioned ambulance behind approximately one hundred athletes
waiting to hear the sharp crack of the starting gun.

"We're supposed to stay behind the last runner, so take it slowly," I
said to the driver, Doug, as we began to creep forward.

"Let's just hope the last runner is fast!" he laughed.

As they began to pace themselves, the front runners started to
disappear.  It was then that my eyes were drawn to the woman in blue
silk running shorts and a baggy white T-shirt.

"Doug, look!" We knew we were already watching our "last runner." Her
feet were turned in, yet her left knee was turned out.  Her legs were
so crippled and bent that it seemed impossible for her to be able to
walk, let alone run a marathon.  Doug and I watched in silence as she
slowly moved forward.  We didn't say a thing.  We would move forward a
little bit, then stop and wait for her to gain some distance.  Then
we'd slowly move forward a little bit more.  As I watched her struggle
to put one foot in front of the other, I found myself breathing for her
and urging her forward.  I wanted her to stop, and at the same time I
prayed that she wouldn't.

Finally, she was the only runner left in sight.  Tears streamed down my
face as I sat on the edge of my seat and watched with awe, amazement
and even reverence as she pushed forward with sheer determination
through the last miles.  When the finish line came into sight, trash
lay everywhere and the cheering crowds had long since gone home.  Yet,
standing so straight and ever so proud waited a lone man.  He was
holding one end of a ribbon of crepe paper tied to a post.  She slowly
crossed through, leaving both ends of the paper fluttering behind her.

I do not know this woman's name, but that day she became a part of my
life--a part I often depend on.  For her, it wasn't about beating the
other runners or winning a trophy, it was about finishing what she had
set out to do, no matter what.

When I think things are too difficult or too time-consuming, I get
those "I-just-can't-do-its," and I think of the last runner.  Then I
realize how easy the task before me really is.

This is just another story I'll be reading sometime tomorrow from noon
to 1 PM on a radio show called "This and That" to be heard over the
facilities of the Radio Reading Network of Maryland, online at
http://www.radioreadingnetwork.org
and locally over the 67 kHz signal over WBJC, the radio voice of
Baltimore City Community College.

Whether you hear it read tomorrow or enjoyed it today, I pray that it
was a blessing for you.

And that will do it for now.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing another
similar article will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul