[Faith-talk] Sharing my Audio Devotionals

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:47:49 UTC 2016

Hey Poppa Bear, this is great for you! Perhaps this simplifies
some other decisions I know you have been praying about and
considering.  I'm very happy for you.  You have been going
through a lot in the past several years.

I am feeling very burdened lately because I have met so many
people who have been turned off by Christianity, both Catholic
and Protestant.  We are not doing a good job of showing people
the love of Christ.  Here is an example of what I mean.  I have a
friend at work who had attended church, not sure about her belief
in or relationship with Jesus.  She went to a church and was
warmly welcomed.  The lady who welcomed her asked about her
husband.  When my friend said that she was divorced, the woman
drew back as if my friend had leprosy.  Suddenly a place that had
seemed warm and welcoming was now cold and empty.  She has not
been in a church since, and now considers herself a Nordic
Shamanic witch.  People who are divorced or in other things that
certainly are not considered good things, are often turned off by
our condemnation.  I'm not saying that divorce and other things
aren't sinful, but for are sad, those people are suffering, and
instead of showing mercy and love and helpfulness, we judge and
criticize.  We do not provide a listening ear, or a place where
they might come and feel safe, where healing could happen and
where Christ's love could be shone.

I'm not saying that we have to approve of other people's
lifestyle, but honestly it does not help anything or anyone when
people are turned off by holier-than-thou Christians.  My friend
knows that I do not agree with her beliefs, and the fact that she
is a witch does make me a little wary, but I will continue to
show her friendliness, pray for her, and love her.  I will do my
best to show her Jesus' love.  Shunning her and condemning her
would only make it harder for her to ever accept that she could
be loved by God.  I wonder what other people think.    Blessings,
Debby