[Faith-talk] {Spam?} The Littlelest Fire Fighter

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu Jul 14 16:20:14 UTC 2016

Hey folks, this story from Phoenix, Arizona is so wonderful that I'm
dispensing with the usual greeting.  So take a break from all the
negative news one hears and sees, and read the following story, and see
if you don't agree that it is one of the most heartwarming ones that
you ever read or heard.

The 26-year-old mother stared down at her son who was dying of terminal
leukemia.  Although her heart was filled with sadness, she also had a
strong feeling of determination.  Like any parent she wanted her son to
grow up and fulfill all his dreams.  Now that was no longer possible.

The leukemia would see to that.  But she still wanted her son's dreams
to come true.  She took her son's hand and asked, "Billy, did you ever
think about what you wanted to be once you grew up? Did you ever dream
and wish what you would do with your life?"

"Mommy, I always wanted to be a fireman when I grew up." Mom smiled
back and said, "Let's see if we can make your wish come true."

Later that day she went to her local fire department in Phoenix,
Arizona, where she met Fireman Bob, who had a heart as big as Phoenix.
She explained her son's final wish and asked if it might be possible to
give her six-year-old son a ride around the block on a fire engine.

Fireman Bob said, "Look, we can do better than that.  If you'll have
your son ready at seven o'clock Wednesday morning, we'll make him an
honorary foreman for the whole day.  He can come down to the fire
station, eat with us, go out on all the fire calls, the whole nine
yards! And if you'll give us his sizes, we'll get a real fire uniform
for him, with a real fire hat--not a toy one--with the emblem of the
Phoenix Fire Department on it, a yellow slicker like we wear and rubber
boots.  They're all manufactured right here in Phoenix, so we can get
them fast."

Three days later Fireman Bob picked up Billy, dressed him in his fire
uniform and escorted him from his hospital bed to the waiting hook and
ladder truck.

Billy got to sit on the back of the truck and help steer it back to the
fire station.  He was in heaven.  There were three fire calls in
Phoenix that day and Billy got to go out on all three calls.

He rode in the different fire engines, the paramedic's van, and even
the fire chief's car.  He was also videotaped for the local news program.

Having his dream come true, with all the love and attention that was
lavished upon him, so deeply touched Billy that he lived three months
longer than any doctor thought possible.

One night all of his vital signs began to drop dramatically and the
head nurse, who believed in the hospice concept that no one should die
alone, began to call the family members to the hospital.

Then she remembered the day Billy had spent as fireman, so she called
the Fire Chief and asked if it would be possible to send a fireman in
uniform to the hospital to be with Billy as he made his transition.

The Chief replied, "We can do better than that.  We'll be there in five
minutes.  Will you please do me a favor? When you hear the sirens
screaming and see the lights flashing, will you announce over the PA
system that there is not a fire? It's just the fire department coming
to see one of its finest members one more time.  And will you open the
window to his room?"

About five minutes later a hook and ladder truck arrived at the
hospital, extended its ladder up to Billy's third floor window and 16
fire fighters climbed up the ladder into Billy's room.

With his mother's permission, they hugged him and held him and told him
how much they loved him.

With his dying breath, Billy looked up at the fire chief and said,
"Chief, am I really a fireman now?"

"Billy, you are," the chief said.  With those words, Billy smiled and
closed his eyes one last time.

See, I told you this was a heartwarming story and perhaps even a
tear-jerker.  It has special significance for me because, in early June
of 2010 I was feeling extraordinarily tired and not because of the
weather.  I went to my doctor and he took some blood work.  It turned
out that my white blood cell count was over 100,000, and further tests
indicated that I had chronic lymphocytic leukemia.  You'd better
believe me that I started to take stock of my life.  However a series
of unprecedented events took place that dramatically lowered my WBC
count, for which I praise God.  The foregoing story is affectionately
and lovingly dedicated to you parents out there who had a similar
experience with any young children who died prematurely, like Billy.
Maybe you'd like to share your stories of a similar nature, if possible.

And that will do it for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing
another article will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul