[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Daily Thought for Thursday, May 5, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu May 5 19:23:22 UTC 2016

Hello and a good Thursday to most of you, and a good Friday to you in
Australia and New Zealand.  I hope that your day is going well, by
God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Today is also the National Day of Prayer here in the U.S., whose chair
is Dr. Tony Evans, host of the nationally syndicated radio program "The
Urban Alternative." In our own way and time, let's pray for God's
direction that our nation is going, especially politically, but also in
other areas like economically and others.

Today's article for your consideration was originally printed in the
RBC Discovery Digest some twelve years ago.  Although its author is not
named, it is still relevant even today.  Entitled "The Influence of a
Christian Mother," it is rendered as follows:

It has been said, "The hand that rocks the cradles rules the world."

That certainly is a beautiful expression of a lovely sentiment--but
it's a lot more than that! That is because it states a very important
truth:  the influence of a mother in the home is immeasurable.

In saying that, I'm not downgrading or minimizing the importance or the
obligation of teh father.  He is the head of teh house.

Too often in today's society, however, the father is gone most of teh
time, earning a living.  And that's important if the children are to
have proper food, clothing, and shelter.  But that takes him away from
the family during his working hours.  Then, when he does arrive home in
the evening, he is often too tired to give his children the loving
attention and patience they deserve.

It is therefore the mother who has that day-by-day, hour-by-hour,
minute-by-minute contact with the youngsters during their formative
years.  And, let's face it, children are greatly influenced by the one
who dresses them, feeds them, and instructs them.  The one who brings
comfort when things go wrong is bound to have a lot to do with the way
they interpret life.

Yes, by her example--by the language she uses and the way she reacts to
the strains, stresses and problems of life--what the mother
communicates to her little ones determines how they are going to react
when they are faced with similar situations in life.

I see it as a tremendous privilege to serve the Lord and a family in
that capacity.  But, I repeat, being a mother is also an awesome
responsibility.  The many hours Mom is alone with the children and her
constant example give them a legacy they will carry with them for the
rest of their lives.

I would pause to emphasize, however, that this does not relieve teh
husband and father of his obligation.  He should never allow Mom to
carry the entire load of childbearing.  He cannot shirk his
responsibility to lead, to love, to discipline his children.  He should
spend time with them and be of assistance in every way he can.

Even so, we must face the facts as they are.  Generally speaking, in
our society it is the mother who has the most daily contact with her
youngsters.  And this occurs at the most impressionable years of their
lives.  Therefore, I am convinced that the mother must be a woman of
the Word--one who knows it and loves it and lives it as best she can
before her children.

Of such a woman it will be said, "Her children rise up and call her
blessed:  her husband also, and he praiseth her" (Proverbs 31:28).

Now there's a lot here for pondering, consideration and reflection, in
my opinion.  Hope that this article gave you something to "chew on"
spiritually.

And that will do it for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing
another daily thought message and article will be posted, may the God
of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul