[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Daily Thought for Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Wed May 11 16:48:17 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings once again to most of you for the second time
today.  I hope that you are all faring well, by God's matchless grace
and His providential care.

Today's Daily Thought article is one that is a bit shorter, for those
of you who prefer this length, but it can be somewhat controversial,
and thus before I give you the contribution in question I'll state up
front that the opinions expressed are those of the writer and not those
of the undersigned or list moderators.  Actually, as I recall, a
discussion was had when one of the groups was formed and I had joined
it, namely, the subject of healing.  The article in question was
written by Andrew Wilson and originally appeared in a British Christian
publication called "Idea" for January/February 2016.  It title is "The
Theology of Healing," rendered as follows:

Our recent survey into health and wellbeing shows 98 per cent of
evangelicals believe in miraculous healing.  Andrew Wilson, elder at
Kings Church Eastbourne and Christianity Today columnist, explores the
theology.

Sooner or later, every Christian is going to have to figure out what
they think about physical healing.  In my case, the question is
especially pressing.  I'm a pastor in a large, charismatic church that
sees dozens of people physically healed each year, I speak at
charismatic conferences regularly, and I've argued frequently that the
gift of healing continues today, both in print and on air.  Yet I also
have two children with regressive autism.  For me, the doctrine of
healing is not theoretical.

The extreme positions are easy to see.  In the red corner, we have
loony, big-haired ranting preachers with their shallow messages of
permanent health and wealth for everyone who follows Jesus.  In the
blue corner, we have the starchy conservative cynics who think everyone
who claims to have experienced divine healing is either lying or
delusional.  Even when people agree that God heals sometimes but not
always, there can still be confusion.  Does God always heal us if we
have enough certainty that He will? Should we assume sicknesses are a
mysterious gift from God, designed to teach us things? Why doesn't God
always heal? How can we see more healing?

Much confusion stems from a failure to recognise what healing is.  As
I've studied these themes, and worked through them in my family life,
my church life and my prayer life, I've noticed that although we often
talk as if there is only one type of divine healing, there are actually four.

_First _Type:  A virus enters my body, and my white blood cells are
launched into action like a rabid dog, hunting down the perpetrator to
kill it.  Every second, as my heart beats, tiny bits of mineral and
organic material are sent to parts of teh body that need it, performing
ongoing repairs that will never finish, like painting the Forth Bridge,
hour after hour, year after year.  My body is being healed all the
time, and it's a result of the grace of the God who created me,
searches me, knows me and loves me that He has designed a body that
functions that way.

_Second _Type:  a Jewish prophet lays his hands on blind eyes and deaf
ears, and causes them instantly to see and hear.  A young man attending
a training event with me, who was born deaf, is immediately healed when
someone prays for him in Jesus' name, and promptly calls his
fiancee--until now deaf--ear to the phone, and has a very excitable
conversation with her.  A woman who has been wheelchair-bound for years
is prayed for in Jesus' name, is immediately healed and gets out of her
wheelchair, and later phones the benefits office to stop her disability
benefits.

_Third _type:  I cycle into the middle of a main road aged 11.  My
tibia and fibula are smashed between my bike and a VW beetle, and a
windscreen wiper makes a four inch deep stab wound in my side, between
my liver and my spleen.  An ambulance appears within minutes, and a
splint is put on my leg.  A surgeon removes the glass from inside my
torso and then repairs it.  My leg is reset under general anaesthesia,
which kicks in within seconds of being injected into my arm, and after
16 weeks I'm running around again like a normal 11-year-old.  The
hospital, the ambulance, the paramedics, the skill of the surgeon, the
discoveries that make operating theatres and anaesthesia possible--all
gracious gifts of a loving God, whose mercy enables healings to take
place across the world that we, in any other generation, be considered
quite miraculous.

_Fourth _type:  The trumpet sounds, and the dead are raised in a flash,
in the twinkling of an eye, never to perish again.  Physical bodies
become incorruptible; no sickness or affliction will ever befall them
again.  Cholera and cancer are consigned to the cosmic skip for all
eternity.  Operating theatres, doctors, ambulances and health
secretaries become a thing of the past.  Nobody cries, except with joy.
Nobody grieves.  The sterile smell of the A&E corridor is no more.  The
octogenarians who sit, walnut-faced, under blankets in wheelchairs in
hospital reception areas are given a new life and a new youth that will
never again be stolen by the long march of time.  Every deaf ear is
unblocked, every damaged limb is made whole, every blind eye sees.
Autism and Down's syndrome and schizophrenia and Alzheimer's are
swallowed up in victory.  And the last enemy to be destroyed is death
(1 Corinthians 15:26).

Recognising those four types can help us with the questions we so often
ask.  Why doesn't God always heal? He does, eventually.  Does God
always heal us if we're certain that he will? Not necessarily.  Why
not? Because death hasn't been destroyed yet.  Should we assume
sicknesses are gifts from God? No--unless you're also prepared to stop
taking medicine or visiting doctors.  How can we see more healing?
Pray, fast, believe, persevere.  How should we pray? May Your kingdom
come, and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Ultimately, you see, God never says "no" to a request for healing.
It's either "yes," as it was for another two people in my church while
I was writing this article, or it's "Not yet" as it has been, so far,
for my children.  One day, death will be swallowed up in victory.  I
can't wait.

And there you have today's Daily thought message and article.  My
thanks go to an organization in the UK, Torch Times of Market
Harborough on England's south coast, for making this article available
to the undersigned and to thousands like me.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe,
individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.
Your Christian friend and brother, Paul