[Faith-talk] Ramadan in brief

Mostafa mostafa.almahdy at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:09:31 UTC 2016

Ramadan is coming soon.

 As all you know, Ramadan is the month during which the Koran was revealed. Muslims are enjoined to fast this month from dawn to dusk. This means refraining from food, drinking water or any permissible beverages  and intercourse or intimate behavior. The main purpose of fasting this month is to train the body and the soul on self-discipline. This is the essence of fasting. Therefore, if the fasting person was affronted, he ought to refrain from seeking retaliation. It is a tremendous experience. Ramadan is expected to train the Muslim on attaining piety, righteousness, fervency and leniency. It is not so easy to control someone’s temper and thus, Ramadan trains us on reaching that purpose. Many people prejudicially assume that fasting is to merely abstain from consuming physically. The purpose is beyond suspending temporal consumption. The purpose of fasting is essentially to get improved in general. Fasting person is expected to treat people kindly and not to get angry easily. It is so easy if we wanted to just suspend temporal consumption temporarily. Therefore, Ramadan is the month during which the Muslim is expected to avoid using tough language, insults, flirtation and misbehavior. That is really the purpose. It’s beyond merely abstaining from food and drink from dawn to sunset. Many people take this part for granted. This is why their fasting is not sufficiently prosperous. Our interest is obsessed with food and physical abstinent in general. Thence, our discernment of the wisdom behind fasting has to significantly be maturated. Our approach of why we are enjoined to fast has to shift. This is why I was keen to write a concise reminder about what is fasting meant for before Ramadan comes. Someone may ask, aren’t you risked of getting dehydrated and particularly in the summer? Well, good question. First, fasting in Islam is the only fasting in all major religions that is based on total abstention from all types of physical consumption, including but not limited to, water. In the prophetic tradition, there is a light meal that is eaten before dawn called (Sohoor).  It is served right before the dawn. Sohoor is meant to be light, close to the concept of supper in western tradition. Sohoor usually consists of um, Porridge, Yoghurt with Honey or Granola, Milk, water and well, that’s it. Ah yes, fruits if available. Those who are intended to fast may opt one of these things. Sohoor wasn’t meant to be heavy. Unfortunately, people in Egypt tend to eat much during Sohoor, and that’s why they are subjected to getting thirsty during fasting hours. Fasting is meant to improve eating habits. Fasting in Islam is beyond committing yourself to a diet system. Islam in general commands against exess in food and drink. Unfortunately, many people consume much food during Ramadan nights, and particularly desserts. It is not forbidden if we desire to eat desserts moderately in order to compensate the loss  of sugar during fasting hours but, we ought not to be excessive. I did not mean to cover all aspects of fasting in this brief entry. I just wanted to summarise the main points. I wish I have done that successfully. Thank you for reading, Mostafa