[Faith-talk] church youth group

debby semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 04:18:22 UTC 2016

Hi Ana, sometimes humor helps. The more comfortable you feel in your own skin the more at ease you will be a# to make others. Remember that probably none of the kids in that group have been around anybody who's blind before. Keep joining conversations, and use humor. Sometimes I make jokes about sightlings needing light, or being light dependent. It makes people laugh and breaks the ice. Let me tell you a short story--this really happened to me. When I was in college, it was very awkward in the dorm. People didn't talk to me, and it was very awkward. One night I got a little mixed up and one of the girls showed me to my room door. She showed me the light switch and actually turned the light on. Su.enly it occurred to her that I might not need the light. Su.enly she and I buhst out laughing. Doors opened and we kept repeating the story. Pretty soon everybody on my floor was standing in the hall laughing. That broke the ice and we all started talking to each other. Best of luck, and don't give up yet. I'll be praying.    Debby