[Faith-talk] The Attitude Factor By Vicki Griffin

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Wed Oct 12 17:00:13 UTC 2016

Hello and welcome to what I hope will be for you yet another timely
article.  As of this writing I've not checked out the website mentioned
at the end of this piece, but I intend to.

It's in the news--whether you're battling a cold, bouncing back after a
big blunder, beating the blues, or braving a new and challenging
task--mindset matters more than you may think.  God has created these
marvelous brains of ours with a capacity to improve in function,
ability and attitude with proper treatment, use, and exercise.  The
brain constantly re-shapes itself according to what it learns, thinks,
feels, and what it expects.  Neuroscientist John Ratey explains:
"Experiences, thoughts, actions and emotions actually change the
structure of our brains" (Ratey J. "User's Guide to the Brain," Vintage
Books, New York, 2001, p17).  "But," he cautions, "one necessary
precursor to change, though, is often a change of attitude" (Ibid, p356).

Attitude can be more important than facts when it comes to conquering
life's mountains.  When we pack a bad attitude, we may expend a lot of
energy mountain-climbing over molehills but find ourselves unprepared
when we need the mental mettle to scale a genuine peak of difficulty.

Social psychologist Carol Dweck has studied what she terms the "fixed"
versus the "growth" mindset in children and adults (Dweck C. "Mindset."
Random House, New York 2006).  People with a fixed mindset believe
believe that traits such as intelligence, ability, personality, and
competence are inborn and basically unchangeable.  They believe that
the need to "work" at improving means there is a basic lack of
intelligence or ability.  They tend to view themselves as smart or
dumb; strong or weak; winners or losers.

Children with this mindset will choose easy puzzles instead of hard
ones in order to reassure themselves that they are competent.  Because
of the strong need to "be smart" instead of "get smart," individuals
with a fixed mindset tend to avoid challenges; give up easily when
confronted with an obstacle; view "effort" as fruitless; ignore
criticism; and find other people's success threatening.  Students with
a fixed mindset who get a poor grade on a test see themselves as "dumb"
instead of needing to study harder or plan better.  This attitude makes
them more likely to give up on their goals.

In marriage, spouses with a fixed mindset believe that "love conquers
all"; a good marriage should not require work; it should be smooth
sailing and self-adjusting over time; spouses should be able to read
each others' minds; and flaws indicate deep problems.  Individuals with
a fixed mindset tend to be negative; they suffer from more anxiety and
depression; they find it difficult to forgive others because they are
so tough on themselves.

Sociologist Benjamin Barber concluded:  "I don't divide the world into
the weak and the strong, or the successes and failures, those who make
or those who don't.  I divide the world into learners or non-learners."
It is possible to have a fixed mindset in certain areas but not others.
The good news is that the fixed mindset is "fixable!"

People with a growth mindset believe that although people may differ in
basic aptitudes, interests and temperament, everyone can change, grow
and improve.  They have a passion for stretching and growing, even when
they are making mistakes and facing challenges.  Children with a growth
mindset will choose hard puzzles over easy ones because they enjoy the
challenge.

Individuals with a growth mindset may not "feel" smart but they are
interested in "getting smart." They tend to embrace challenges; they
persist in the face of obstacles; they see effort as the path to
mastery; they learn from criticism, and find others' success inspiring.
Individuals with a growth mindset tend to be positive; they are able to
trust others; they can "bounce back" when difficulties get them down;
and they tend to be more forgiving of others.  Students with a growth
mindset who get a poor grade on a test will reassess their study
habits, join a study group, or re-take the class if necessary.  They
are determined to "learn" and therefore are less likely to give up their goals.

In marriage, spouses with a growth mindset believe that love needs a
lot of practical help; problems are a part of life, and good
relationships require effort and maintenance.  Couples rarely agree on
everything and certainly cannot read each other's minds! They believe
the relationship will deepen and grow and challenges are met and
conquered--and they are right!

Viktor Frankl was a Jewish psychiatrist who was imprisoned in Auschwitz
during World War II.  He lost his family, career, freedom, and health.
When he was finally released, he wrote, "Everything can be taken from
man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's
attitude in any given set of circumstances"
(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/viktor_e_frankl.html).

Choosing a new way of thinking is like changing any other habit--it
takes practice, perseverance, and patience.  "What we learn to do, we
learn by doing.  Excellence, then, is not an act--but a habit"
(http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/2192.artistotle).

Do you come from a long line of naysayers? No worries.  Neuroscientist
John Ratey encourages:  "We are not prisoners of our genes or our
environment.  Poverty, alienation, drugs or hormonal imbalances, and
depression don't dictate failure.  Wealth, acceptance, vegetables and
exercise don't guarantee success.  Genes set boundaries for human
behavior, but within these boundaries there is much room for variation
determined by experience, personal choice, and even chance.  We always
have the ability to remodel our brains."

_First, learn to spot fixed thinking.  _Second, determine to replace
faulty internal monologues.  _Third, read the Bible for direction and
power.  Jesus said, "Learn of Me." (Matthew 11:29).  Learning new and
better ways of living and thinking is possible.  New beliefs take their
place alongside old ones and gain strength with practice over time.  So
practice a new _attitude--it will help you achieve greater _altitude
when meeting life's challenges!

Visit
http://www.lifestylematters.com
for more resources for building a better brain, body, and lifestyle--for good!

And there you have Ms. Griffin's article which I hope was a blessing
for you, as well as the website mentioned at the end.

You know, this growth mindset philosophy reminds me a lot of NFB's
philosophy.  Do you agree?

And that will do for now.  You can better believe that this article
will be read over the facilities of the Radio Reading Network of
Maryland this Friday morning.

Until tomorrow when, Lord willing another timely article will be
posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe,
individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.
Your Christian friend and brother, Paul