[Faith-talk] But For a Moment by Richard Clark Jr.

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu Oct 13 19:03:01 UTC 2016

The following was originally written by the managing editor of a
Christian publication, Christian Record, about six months ago and I'd
like to share it with all you good people.

At times I can get caught in the trap of worry and discouragement.

Something seems to not be going my way.  Something comes up
unexpectedly and seems to change what I want to happen.  Something
unsettles me, flusters me, unnerves me.  With a tidal wave of emotions
many things can overwhelm me and tempt me to lose sight of Jesus.

God gives us a lifeline to hold onto in these situations.  He
encourages us with this promise:  "For our light affliction, which is
but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal
weight of glory" (2 Corinthians 4:17).

Whatever I may be grappling with today is not permanent.  It is but for
a moment.  And not only God can use it for my good--to bring a far more
exceeding and eternal weight of glory!

Today I would choose--and it is a daily choice I must make--to keep
"looking unto Jesus" (Hebrews 12:2) in spite of the light affliction I
am facing.

May I continue that refrain first sung at the dedication of David's
house:  "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning"
(Psalm 30:5).

In my personal opinion, this was short but very powerfully encouraging,
and I pray it was for all of my readers.

And that will do for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing yet
another timely literary contribution will be presented, may the God of
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul