[Faith-talk] Appreciation To The Boll Weevil by Ivy R. Doherty

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Wed Oct 19 18:07:54 UTC 2016

It is a strange sight to see a monument to the boll weevil, but there
is such a monument in Enterprise, Alabama.

On the monument are inscribed these words:  "In profound appreciation
of the boll weevil and what it has done to herald prosperity."

Who could appreciate a boll weevil--little creature of destruction?
With its long snout it bites into the blossom buds of the cotton plant
and destroys the flowers.  It feeds on the young bolls and lays its
eggs in some of the holes it makes.  The hatched eggs become worms,
which also feed on the bolls.  How could a boll weevil herald
prosperity in a cotton-growing state?

When you see the sign, you must know what lies behind the note of
appreciation.  You find the answer in the fact that in years gone by
farmers had grown little else besides cotton, especially after the
cotton gin was perfected by Eli Whitney.  Then came the boll weevil,
destroying most of Alabama's cotton crop of 1910.

Discouraged farmers saw in the disaster the need for growing many
different crops instead of depending on one.  And so farms began to
produce in abundance corn and peanuts, beef and dairy products, sweet
potatoes, pecans, nuts, fruits and timber.

While cotton still remains the chief paying crop of Alabama, prosperity
has come because of diversified farm interests.  Disaster in the form
of a boll weevil plague proved, inevitably, to bring prosperity.

Thus, it seems, it must ever be in our lives.  Adversity, setbacks,
heartbreaks, tragedies, disasters and hardships will come, but they can
be used as turning points in our lives--lookout places where, because a
door was shut on us, we get a new vision of what we might do with what
remains to us.  The vision once caught, we go on to wider spheres of
service, to new spiritual horizons where we flourish and grow up in the
likeness of Christ.

To most of us there comes a day, or days, when we take a constructive
backward look and give thanks for the day the "boll weevil" ravished our lives.

And there you have Sister Ivy's short article which I hope was a
blessing for you.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing another timely
contribution will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul