[Faith-talk] Baffling Bible Questions Answered for Monday, October 24, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Oct 24 19:07:20 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings once again to my fellow astute Bible students out
there, no matter where you live.  I hope that your day is faring well,
by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

We continue our look at the book of Matthew for today.

Matthew 8:28-34

QUESTION:  Matthew tells of two maniacs in Gadara.  Mark 5:1-20 and
Luke 8:26-39 speak of only one maniac, and Luke places him in Gerasa.
Surely, at least one is in error.

ANSWER:  The most likely location of the event reported in all three
Gospels is Gadara.  Most believe Gerasa reflects a scribal error
involving the substitution of r for d, letters which look very similar
in Aramic.

Were there one or two maniacs? Is this a contradiction? Not
necessarily.  After all, Matthew does not suggest there was only one
maniac.  He simply remembers and concentrates attention on one.

Suppose you told a friend, "Jim was at the party but came late," while
another person told the same friend, "Jim and Carl came late to the
party." Should you be charged with an error because you failed to
mention Carl when telling about Jim? Of course not.  Why then should
the New Testament be charged with an error because Matthew mentioned
only one of the two maniacs, while Mark and Luke mentioned both?

Each writer agrees on the central elements of the story.  Jesus
demonstrated His power over demons by casting them out of their human
victims and permitting them to go into a herd of pigs, which dashed
into the water and were drowned.  To insist that Matthew made an error
simply because he did not mention both maniacs hardly seems reasonable
under the circumstances.

MATTHEW 9:1-8

QUESTION:  What point was Jesus making when He asked, "Which is easier
to say, Your sins are forgiven, or to say, Get up and walk?

ANSWER:  It is clearly easier for a person to say, "Your sins are
forgiven." Why? Because there is no way to prove that a person's sins
are or not forgiven.  On the other hand, it is no light matter to say,
"Get up and walk," for everyone will know whether the speaker has that
kind of authority.  If a cripple does get up and walk, the power of the
speaker is proven.  If not, he is exposed as a fraud.  Thus, when the
cripple did get up and walk, Jesus' claim to the right to forgive sins
was authenticated by the miracle of healing.

MATTHEW 9:16-17

QUESTION: What did Jesus mean by His reference to putting a new patch
on new clothes and new wine in an old wineskin?

ANSWER:  Jesus had been criticized for associating with sinners rather
than separating from them, as the Pharisees did (9:1-13).  Even the
followers of John the Baptist could not understand why.  Jesus did not
follow accepted religious practices and fast twice a week.  Jesus'
reference to new cloth and new wine was a way of saying that the truths
He taught could not simply be patched on to Judaism or poured into the
old religious framework.  Jesus' teaching was so dynamic and new that
it called for a totally new way of thinking about holiness and living a
godly life.

And there you have this week's baffling Bible questions answered
column, but next Monday, Lord willing, we will continue from where we
left off.  In the meantime may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just
keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul