[Faith-talk] The Missing Peace by David Faust

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Tue Oct 25 17:08:05 UTC 2016

The author of this contribution serves as the associate minister at
East 91st Street Christian Church in Indianapolis, Indiana

Where can you find the missing peace? Ballgames, movies and vacations
can't fill the void.  Political parties clamor for attention and seek
our votes, but government leaders can't guarantee peace.  Jobs keep us
busy, but surveys report widespread dissatisfaction among American
workers.  Entertainment distracts us, but it doesn't fulfill us.
Church involvement is good, but religious activity alone doesn't
produce the completeness, soundness and all-around well-being the
Hebrews called _shalom.

Peace isn't a philosophy; it's a Person.  We receive it as a gift; we
don't earn it with hard work and good intentions.  "We have peace with
God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1), and peace with God is
the foundation for every other kind of lasting peace.  That's why the
_shalom story of Christ winds like a golden thread throughout the Bible.

The Coming Peace-Giver

In the Old Testament He's the woman's seed who will crush the serpent's
head--the fulfillment of God's promised blessings to Abraham, Isaac,
and Jacob.  He's the Lion of Judah, the prophet like Moses, the
hope-giving offspring of faithful Ruth.

In the Psalms He's the good shepherd who leads by still waters.  In
Isaiah He's the Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting
Father, the Prince of Peace.  In Jeremiah He's the balm of Gilead.  In
Daniel He's the fourth man in the fiery furnace.  In Jonah He's the One
given up for dead who comes back alive three days later.  In Micah He's
the One born in Bethlehem who will shepherd His flock in the strength
of the Lord and "will be our Peace" (Micah 5:5).  In Zechariah He's the
humble king riding into Jerusalem on a donkey.  In Malachi He's the sun
of righteousness who rises with healing in His wings.

The Messianic Reconciler

In the Gospels He's the friend of scorned sinners, the healer of broken
bodies, and the teacher of hungry minds.  He's the challenger of the
status quo, the uplifter of the beaten down, the enabler of the weak,
the ennobler of the shamed.  He's the miracle worker and prophecy
fulfiller, the suffering servant and the model leader, the sacrificial
Lamb and the risen Lord.

His enemies tried to destroy Him, His followers struggled to understand
him, and Satan tried to defeat Him, but Jesus persevered.  Peter
fumbled for words but finally said of Him, "You are the Christ, the Son
of the living God." Thomas wrestled with doubt but finally fell at His
feet and finally exclaimed, "My Lord and my God." Pilate found no falt
in Him, and the centurion at His crucifixion recognized that He surely
was the Son of God.  Saul of Tarsus hated Him until the risen Christ
confronted him and transformed the proud Pharisee into a devoted Christ
follower.

Christ is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.  Yesterday
His death and resurrection changed history.  Today He stands tall as
the head of His church.  Tomorrow He will remain the focus of our
message, the centerpiece of our fellowship, and the host at His weekly
table.  He's the motivator of our mission, the final authority over our
decisions, the reconciler and unifier of His people.  He's the King of
kings and Lord of Lords, and Christ Himself is our _shalom.  In Him we
find the peace that passes understanding.

And there you have Brother David's short article which I hope was a
blessing for you today.  Don't forget that, between 4 and 5 PM eastern
time today, that the undersigned will be doing his thing on Cjoy Internet Radio
(http://www.cjoyinternetradio.com.
Hope you will receive a blessing if you listen.

And that will do for now.  Until we hopefully connect with one another
via the web or until tomorrow when, Lord willing another timely article
will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us
safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we
live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul