[Faith-talk] {Spam?} The Bible in America's Memorials

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Wed Oct 26 11:17:43 UTC 2016

Living as I do fairly close to Washington DC at an approximate distance
of 40 miles or 64 km, through my late pastor, Robert T. Woodworth of
the now-defunct Christ and Country Church, I knew about most of those
monuments.  The Gutenburg Bible and the Great Bible of Mainz, Germany
are housed in a glass case immediately after you ascend to the second
floor of the Library of Congress after you leave the elevator or have
walked up the stairs.  It is interesting in my opinion that, although
this building is a government institution, that it (the government)
would allow all these quotations, as much time and effort has in recent
years been taken to separate church from state.

Although not a government building, on the outside of the National
Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on the corners of Michigan and
South Dakota Avenues, the largest Catholic edifice of its kind in the
Western Hemisphere, has hundreds of Bible quotes etched in the outside
marble walls, and any of you who know your print letters would
undoubtedly be able to read them.  On April 28, 1990 the above-named
Pastor Woodworth and the undersigned participated in a prolife rally on
the Washington Monument grounds, and he pointed out this particular
wall with Scripture verses.

Yes, folks, there's much more to this 69 square mile territory than
federal government activity, as will be evident in November 2017 when
the Museum of the Bible will open.  Thanks for sharing all of this info
with us.  Paul