[Faith-talk] {Spam?} The Highest Ministry: Do-Or-Die Prayer by Leonard Ravenhill

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Fri Sep 2 17:35:12 UTC 2016

Leonard Ravenhill (1907-1994) was an evangelist and author who
challenged the modern church to compare itself to the early Christian
church as chronicled in the Book of Acts.  The following is taken from
"Why Revival Tarries," by Leonard Ravenhill, copyright 1959

No man is greater than his prayer life.  The pastor who is not praying
is playing; the people who are not praying are straying.  The pulpit
can be a shop window to display one's talents; the prayer closet allows
no showing off.

Poverty-stricken as the church is today in many things, she is most
stricken here, in the place of prayer.  We have many organizers, but
few agonizers; many players and payers, few pray-ers; many singers, few
dingers; lots of pastors, few wrestlers; many fears, few tears; much
fashion, little passion; many interferers, few intercessors; many
writers, but few fighters.  Failing here, we fail everywhere.

The two prerequisites for successful Christian living are vision and
passion, both of which are born in and maintained by prayer.  The
ministry of preaching is open to few; the ministry of prayer--the
highest ministry of all human offices--is open to all.  Spiritual
adolescents say, "I'll not go tonight, it's only the prayer meeting."
It may be that Satan has little cause to fear most preaching.  Yet,
past experiences sting him to rally all his infernal army to fight
against God's people praying.  God is not prodigal with His power; but
to be much for God, we must be much with God.

This world hits the trail for hell with a speed that makes our fastest
plane look like a tortoise; yet alas, few of us can remember the last
time we missed our bed for a night of waiting upon God for a
world-shaking revival.

Prayer is profoundly simple and simply profound.  "Prayer is the
simplest form of speech that infant lips can try," and yet so sublime
that it outranges all speech and exhausts man's vocabulary.  A Niagara
of burning words does not mean that God is either impressed or moved.
One of the most profound of Old Testament intercessors had no
language--"Her lips moved, but her voice was not heard."

Are we so substandard to New Testament Christianity that we know not
the historical faith of our fathers (with its implications and
operations,) but only the hysterical faith of our fellows?

Can anyone deny that in the modern church setup the main cause of
anxiety is money? Yet that which tries the modern churches the most
troubled the New Testament church the least.  Our accent is on paying,
theirs was on praying.  When we have paid, the place is taken; when
they had prayed, the place was shaken!

In the matter of New Testament, Spirit-inspired, hell-shaking,
world-breaking prayer, never has so much been left by so many to so few.

For this kind of prayer there is no substitute.  We do it--or die!

When I first read this about six months ago, I was forced to stop and
take stock of my prayer life by asking my conscience and soul:  Is my
prayer life the kind that really pleases God or selfish me? I had to
admit that it was more the latter than the former.  With His help and
grace, I believe that it was turned around.  This reading that you have
just read was truly a soul-searching one for me, and I pray it was for you.

Several weeks ago in the Interactive Christian Community, it was my
pleasure and privilege, along with several other ICC members, to hear a
prerecorded sermon given by Brother Ravenhill, and that was as profound
as what you just read, in my opinion.

And that will do for now, but don't forget that, Lord willing tomorrow
there will be another message by Tim Smith of the Museum of the Bible
in Washington, DC.  Until then may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul