[Faith-talk] The Purpose of This List

debby semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 14:20:51 UTC 2016

Oh wow, Naica, where to begin !explain what Pentecostalism is. LOL. Okay, I'll try. I'm not good at dates and all, so if you want dates and stuff, you might try the Assemblies of God Library. So okay. Pentecostal -es from the word Pentecost. You will find that word in Acts. In chcts, the Holy Spirit came down on 120 people gathered in an upper room to wait. Jesus had said that He would send the —forter, the Holy Spirit, !them. On the Feast of Pentecost they were gathered, andthe Holy Spirit did -every. After that, Peter and the other Apostles had much more boldness, and the Church began !grow. Through the centuries this action of the Holy Spirit began to fade, and historians have various reasons for this. I do not want to get in to a debate about that. But people began longing for revival and in the early 1900s in the United States, various people began experiencing the Holy Spirit. This was the beginning of denominNs like the Assemblies of God and the Foursquare Church, as well as others. This movement also spread to the Catholic Church with the Charismatic Renewal. Wherever this renewal has happened, ministries have started. In the Protestant church, I think of Teen Challenge. Within the Catholic Church prayer groups and conferences are still happening. There are also lay -munities such as People of Praise. This is an ecumenical -munity meaning that there are other denominNs included. It is primarily Catholic, but there are Lutherans, Methodists, Reformed Church members, and Episcopalians, !name a few. There is a diligence for Scripture, praising God, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit are emphasized. Well, that's enough from me. LOL. Sorry, didn't mean to write a novel.    Blessings,    Debby