[Faith-talk] Baffling Bible Questions Answered for Monday, September 5, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Sep 5 17:27:18 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings once again to all astute Bible students out there.
Time to move on to the New Testament and the Gospel of Matthew.  This
will take a number of weeks to do, and I hope and pray that among the
questions and answers given in this series of columns are some that
you've always wanted answers to.  But let's lose no more time; rather
let's get into Matthew.

Question:  Who wrote this book, and what themes and issues does it deal with?

Answer:  Matthew was one of Jesus' disciples.  He wrote this book
sometime before the Romans destroyed the city of Jerusalem in A.D. 70.
Matthew's Gospel is one of three that take a generally chronological
approach to relate the story of Jesus' life.  Telling the story of
Jesus for a Jewish audience, Matthew frequently quotes or refers to Old
Testament prophecies to demonstrate that Jesus is the Messiah whom the
Jewish people expected.  His Gospel explains why Jesus did not
establish the earthly kingdom that the Jews expected.  Matthew
emphasizes teachings that explain how believers are to relate to the
present spiritual kingdom of God; he also promises that Jesus will
return to openly establish God's rule on earth.

Matthew is distinctive in his lengthy reports of Jesus' teachings.
Among the longer passages are the Sermon on the Mount (5:1-7:27,
instructions to His disciples (10:5-42), His teachings through parables
(13:3-52), His comments on greatness in God's kingdom (18:1-20:28, and
the preview of history's end (24:4-25:46).

Matthew 1:1-17

Question:  Were there really only 42 generations from creation to
Christ? How could that possibly be?

Answer:  Jewish genealogies were not complete but typically selected
and identified key ancestors.  The three groups of 14 are symbolic,
most likely used because the numeric value of the name _David in Hebrew
is 14.  The major purpose of this genealogy is to demonstrate that
Jesus did descend from David's line, for the prophets declared that the
Messiah would come from David's family.

No one today has genealogical data available to trace his or her
ancestry back 2,000 years.  Yet, the early Hebrew stress on racial
purity, as reflected in the Bible's many genealogies, reminds us that
many families in Israel were able to do just that.  It is not at all
surprising that the records of those in David's line would be carefully
preserved.  Interestingly, historians report that the emperor Domitian
(A.D. 81-96) ordered all descendants of David to be slain.  When two
were identified from the genealogies and brought before the ruler, he
saw their calloused hands and realized they were only poor farmers and
let them go.

Matthew 1:6

Question:  Luke reports that Jesus descended from Nathan (3:31), but
Matthew says His descent was through Solomon.  Surely, one of the two
made an error.

Answer:  The reason for the differences in the two genealogies has
troubled scholars since the second century A.D.  Several solutions have
been offered that preserve the accuracy of both accounts.  One familiar
theory is that Matthew gives the line of Joseph, and Luke the line of
Mary.  From Joseph, Jesus inherited a clear right to the throne held by
David's son Solomon; from Mary, His human descent from David was
through another of David's sons, Nathan.  Other theories suggest that
both Matthew and Luke provide genealogies of Joseph but that one line
is a throne-succession line, which finally jumped by default to
Joseph's physical descent line.  The other genealogy, the line of
Solomon, died out.  While we are unsure which of the various theories
is correct, it is clear that each succesffully handles the issues of an
error in Scripture by showing how each genealogy not only can be
correct but can support the Bible's teaching that Jesus is in David's
royal line.

And there you have the introduction to the Gospel of Matthew.  We will
be in this book for quite some time, and as stated previously, I hope
that some of the Baffling Bible questions answered will be those that
you've been wondering about.

Before I close this column for this week and for those of you who
receive my quotes and news tidbits on a daily basis, the news items
will not appear tomorrow, as I wish to tell you how to access my
God-led program over Cjoy Internet Radio for tomorrow, especially for
your friends who don't have computers but who wish to listen and/or
participate, if in fact they have long-distance plans.

And that will do for this week's baffling Bible questions answered
column.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing another uplifting literary
work will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep
us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we
live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul