[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Baffling Bible Questions Answered for Monday, September 19, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Sep 19 19:53:13 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings once again to my astute Bible students out there.
Hope your day is going well, by God's matchless grace and His
providential care.

As I did yesterday with a new member receiving my messages, so I will
do here.  Scott, for the past several months now I've been presenting
baffling Bible questions answered columns, beginning with Job, and now
we're in Matthew, Part 3.  Don't know who wrote these columns
originally, but he or she surely knows his/her Bible, in my opinion.
We are now in Matthew, Part 3.  Each question begins with a verse, the
question is given and the writer answers it.  So Scott and all, if
you're ready, we begin with the latest column in Matthew.

Matthew 2:17

Question:  How many boys did Herod's soldiers actually kill? And what
does the prophecy in Jeremiah have to do with the "slaughter of the innocents?"

Answer:  Archaeological surveys of the Bethlehem area suggest that its
population was between 300 and 1,000 in the first century A.D.  Given
the larger number, one would expect no more than 20 and more likely a
dozen or so male children two years old and younger.  We are shocked by
the brutality of the act, but the massacre is in fullest harmony with
what is known of Herod's character and fierce defense of his throne.

The Jeremiah passage quoted is linked to this event.  Jeremiah 31:15
portrays Rachel, the symbolic mother of the Jews, weeping as her
descendants are torn from the Promised Land.  Yet that prophecy is
found in a context of the hope that, despite the tears, God promises
the exiles will return.  Now, despite the tears shed for the innocent
victims of Herod's slaughter, their deaths underline the escape of the
child Jesus, whose survival ultimately means restoration of humankind
to a personal relationship with God.  As tears intermingled with joy in
Jeremiah's time, so tears and joy intermingle in Bethlehem.  Each
passage thus foreshadows salvation.

Matthew 3:2

Question:  Why did John preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is
hnear?" What was the kingdom of heaven?

Answer:  The "Expository Dictionary of Bible Words" (Zondervan) points
out that "in the OT (Old Testament), "kingdom" is best expressed by the
idea of reign or sovereignty.  One's kingdom is the people or things
over which he or she has authority or control." The Bible portrays
God's kingdom (heaven's rule) in several ways.  On one hand, God is
sovereign ruler of all creation, and the universe is His creation (ps.
145:11-12; Dan. 4:3).  At the same time the prophets foresee a time
when God's sovereignty is expressed in visible form here on earth.
Daniel 2:44 says, "The God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will
never be destroyed." In the New Testament, another form of God's hidden
kingdom is emphasized:  God rules in the hearts and lives of Jesus'
followers, and He works out His will in them through circumstance and,
at times, miracle.  Thus, Christians are rescued from the domain of
darkness governed by Satan and brought "into the kingdom of the Son He
loves" (Col. 1:13).

In what sense then John mean his announcement, "The kingdom of heaven
is near?" It is certain that John's listeners thought at once of the
earthly, political kingdom the prophets foretold.  But John's
proclamation was intended to draw attention not to a particular form of
the kingdom but to the presence of the King.  The kingdom was near
because King Jesus was about to begin His public ministry.  The kingdom
was near (available) for anyone who truly believed in Jesus as Messiah
and Son of God.  By giving allegiance to the King, they could
personally enter that realm where heaven rules.  In that sense, the
kingdom of heaven is near to human beings today, as well.  All one
needs to do is to bend his or her knee to the King.  By that simple act
of faith, he or she will be transformed and become a citizen of the
kingdom of our God.

Matthew 3:11

Question:  How many kinds of baptisms are mentioned in the New
Testament? And how was John's baptism different from Christian baptism?

ANSWER:  This verse mentions three baptisms:  of water, of the Holy
Spirit, and of fire.  So at least three baptisms are mentioned in the
New Testament, and if we add Christian baptism, we have four.

John's water baptism was a symbol of repentance and commitment.  The
Jew who accepted baptism from John confessed his sins and expressed his
determination to live a righteous life.

The water baptism practiced by the early Christian church was also a
symbolic act.  But rather than symbolize repentance, Christian baptism
symbolizes the union of the believer with Jesus in His death, burial,
and resurrection (see Rom. 6:1-4).

The baptism of the Holy Spirit is defined in 1 Corinthians 12:13 as
that act by which the Spirit unites the believer to Jesus as a member
of His body.  This spiritual union is the reality symbolized by
Christian water baptism.

The baptism of fire referred to in Matthew 3:11 has been understood in
two different ways.  Some take it as a reference to the fire that
destroys the unrepentant (wheat and chaff, Matt. 3:12).  Others
emphasize the many symbolic references to fire in the Old Testament as
a purifying agent (Zech 13:9; Mal. 3:2-3).  In this view the Holy
Spirit and fire are closely linked, reminding us that, when the Holy
Spirit enters our lives, He not only joins us to Jesus but also begins
a purifying and cleansing process.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of our
heavenly King-Father and saints of the Most High God, is your Baffling
Bible Questions Answered column for this week.  I hope that you
received some worthwhile spiritual food that you can chew on.  Until
next Monday when, Lord willing more of the same will be posted, may the
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul