[Faith-talk] Some Reasons for Bible Difficulties

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Thu Aug 10 13:54:35 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I really appreciate this article, and I thought some here might
also.

Blessings,

Linda

The following is adapted from THINGS HARD TO BE UNDERSTOOD: A
HANDBOOK OF BIBLICAL DIFFICULTIES.  ISBN 1-58318-002-8.  This
volume deals with a variety of biblical difficulties.  Find the
answer to the seeming contradictions in the Bible.  Meet the
challenge of false teachers who misuse biblical passages to prove
their doctrine.  Find out the meaning of difficult passages that
are oftentimes overlooked in the Bible commentaries.  Be
confirmed in your confidence in the inerrancy and perfection of
the Scriptures and be able to refute the skeptics.  Learn the
meaning of difficult expressions such as "the unpardonable
sin." A major objective of this volume is to protect God's
people from the false teachers that abound in these last days.
For example, we examine verses misused by Seventh-day Adventists,
Roman Catholics, Pentecostals, and others to support their
heresies.  We deal with things such as the blasphemy against the
Holy Spirit, cremation,
head coverings, did Jesus die on Friday, God's repentance,
healing in the atonement, losing one's salvation, sinless
perfectionism, soul sleep, and the Trinity.  Jerry Huffman,
editor of Calvary Contender, testified: "You don't have to
agree with everything to greatly benefit from this helpful
book." In researching and writing this book, the author
consulted roughly 500 volumes, old and new, that deal with
biblical difficulties and the various other subjects addressed in
Things Hard to Be Understood.  This one volume, therefore,
represents the essence of a sizable library.  Sixth edition Feb.
2014, enlarged and completely revised, 441 pages.  Available in
print and eBook editions, www.wayoflife.org
_____

1.  The Bible is God's Word.  "For my thoughts are not your
thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.  For as
the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than
your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9).
It is not surprising that the Bible contains things hard to be
understood, because it is the revelation of the omniscient,
omnipotent, eternal God.  "A revelation coming down from an
infinite Mind to finite minds must necessarily involve
difficulties.  This is true of all Christian doctrine.  Take for
instance the doctrine of God, or immortality, or the incarnation.
There is no Christian doctrine altogether free from intellectual
difficulties. ...  Once we begin to reject the doctrines of
Christianity because they involve some intellectual difficulty,
then we shall finally reject them all.  But when we have done
this, when we have sought refuge in atheism, we shall find
ourselves no better off
than before.  For the intellectual difficulties of unbelief are
immensely greater than those of Christian faith.  Let us settle
one thing right here-we live in a universe of thought, and there
is no place in this universe of thought where we can escape from
all intellectual difficulties" (Alva J.  McClain, The
"Problems" of Verbal Inspiration).

2.  We are separated from Bible events by thousands of years and
by vast cultural and linguistic differences.  God gave the
Scriptures for all people of all centuries and He was in control
of the time and context of its giving, but it is not reasonable
to expect there will be no problems in understanding the
Scriptures.

3.  Some things are purposely hidden from the scoffer.  Contrary
to popular belief, Jesus did not speak in parables to make the
truth clear to simple people; He spoke in parables to hide the
truth from willful unbelievers (Mat.  13:13-17).  Daniel said the
wicked will not understand prophecy (Da.  12:10).  Peter said
that scoffer is willfully ignorant (2 Pe.  3:3-5).  Peter said
that the difficult things in Scripture are misused by unbelievers
to their own destruction (2 Pe.  3:16).  God is not mocked; He
has ordained that men reap what they sow (Gal.  6:7).  He has
designed His Word in such a way that those who willfully reject
Him are unable to discern the truth properly.  The truth of
Scripture is plain to those who believe, but it is obscure to
those who disbelieve.  In other words, God gives willful
unbelievers enough rope to hang themselves! This is true of the
Bible as a whole and of the prophecies in particular.  For the
believer, there is
ample evidence that the Bible's prophecies have been fulfilled;
but the skeptic, looking at the same prophecies, doesn't
understand (and doesn't want to understand) and is thus
confirmed in his unbelief.  Harvard law professor Simon Greenleaf
said, "Christianity does not profess to convince the perverse
and head-strong, to bring irresistible evidence to the daring and
profane, to vanquish the proud scorner, and afford evidences from
which the careless and perverse cannot possibly escape.  This
might go to destroy man's responsibility.  All that Christianity
professes, is to propose such evidences as may satisfy the meek,
the tractable, the candid, the serious inquirer" (The Testimony
of the Evangelists Examined by the Rules of Evidence).

4.  Understanding the Bible requires spiritual perception (1 Cor.
2:12-15; Heb.  5:11-14).  It is the unsaved, the spiritually
immature, and the carnal who find inconsistencies in the Bible.
God has ordained that it be so.

5.  God requires man to study (2 Timothy 2:15; Prov.  2:1-6;
25:2).  The Bible does not read like a morning newspaper because
it is not a morning newspaper! It is the eternal Word of God, and
God has ordained that a man must dig into it diligently or he
will not understand it properly.  The chief solution to Bible
difficulties is diligent, believing STUDY of the Holy Scriptures!

6.  The Bible is for all men and all times.  It is possible that
some things are difficult for me to understand because they are
intended to be better understood by someone else in another
situation.  Some of the prophetic discourses fall into this
category (Dan.  12:4; 1 Pet.  1:10-12).

7.  The Bible uses symbolic language for many reasons, just as
men use symbolic language in everyday life, in normal
conversation ("he is as fast as lightening"; he has a "long
hand"), in music, in poetry, etc.

Symbolic language can emphasize the message.  Consider hyperbole
- "Oh that my head were waters, and mine eyes a fountain of
tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the
daughter of my people!" (Jer 9:1).  "Tyrus ...  heaped up
silver as the dust" (Zec.  9:3).  "Yea, though he live a
thousand years twice told, yet hath he seen no good: do not all
go to one place?" (Ec 6:6)

Symbolic language can make the message more visual and memorable.
"...  they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro
through the whole earth" (Zec.  4:10).  "they refused to
hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears,
that they should not hear" (Zec.  7:11).  "As an eagle stirreth
up her nest, fluttereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her
wings, taketh them, beareth them on her wings" (De.  32:11).
Christ continually used symbolic language to describe Himself:
Good Shepherd, the Door, the living Bread, the living Water,
Light, the true Vine, the Bridegroom.  All of these are powerful
images that communicate deep truth to the understanding human
heart.

Symbolic language can condense a message.  For example, the image
of Daniel 2 that Nebuchadnezzar saw in his dream is described in
five verses (Da.  2:31-35).  But even the briefest interpretation
of the dream requires 10 verses (Da.  2:36-45).  And in fact,
many entire books have been written to explain it.