[Faith-talk] various, again

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 04:16:49 UTC 2017

Hey, all,

Before I launch into my “computer Sabbath” tomorrow, wanted to throw some reactions out there.

While I get that there’s a subset of folks who would find ministry in extreme gender- neutral language due to their own warped histories with various genders, I, also, can’t completely go there. Similar to how I feel about the term “spirituality” that gets thrown around so indiscriminately—to the point that when you describe someone as “spiritual,” it virtually means nothing—it’s a catch-all. My other objection is: before the foundation of the world, God the Son entered into an agreement with the other two of the Trinity, to save the world. So, I can’t say Christ is a “her” or a “source” without cringing. However, the idea of so-called “metrosexual”, I do find truth in—I think that, particularly, the HS has maternal qualities—the “paraclete”, etc. So, that one’s not so shattering to me. So, I think I would have to steer clear of churches that go to the nth extreme with gender-neutrality, and just pray for them at a distance. The idea of Bible translations that do some of it without going overboard is not offensive to me. BTW, I do think we all have some (dormant or otherwise) masculine and feminine traits, though there are definite gender differences. As to the more radical aspects—in a way, who am I to judge—there are Christians who would have major problems with the fact that I am majorly into the band Rush, the poet Emily Dickinson (who had a few choice words about God, before they reconciled later in her life), and more; they would be scandalized! But I find a lot of truth in those artists, and just agree to disagree on the points I can’t abide by; they have so much to teach us, so much wholeness to minister from (sometimes more than those that wear the name of Christ, sad to say),and if we are to think about what’s beautiful, good, true, etc., then that includes the material that they present that, whether they themselves can acknowledge it or not, comes from, and brings glory to, their Maker.

For those of you interested in following some of the trans-gender issues so prevalent today, you might want to check out Walt Heyer’s website (I don’t know the exact link, but you can probably Google it, as I will); he had transitioned to a woman years ago, then back to a man; I won’t go into all the details, but it sounds pretty interesting—heard him on Glen Beck this morning—poor Glen seemed extremely nervous in the interview, though, which was disappointing, but I think Heyer’s site will give many of us something to think about.

Happy Sunday to you all, and see you Monday, unless God leads me to contribute tomorrow.

Sandra

One can never consent to creep, when one feels an impulse to soar.
(Helen Keller)

---