[Faith-talk] diet and faith

Kaden Colton atmosaddict at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 05:45:30 UTC 2017

Assalamu alaikum, Ashley,

To answer your question about pork, in the Qur'an states "إِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْمَيْتَةَ وَالدَّمَ وَلَحْمَ الْخِنزِيرِ وَمَا أُهِلَّ لِغَيْرِ اللَّهِ بِهِ ۖ فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلَا عَادٍ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ - 16:115."  The translation of this from Arabic to English is "He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit] - then indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful." This scripture comes from Surat 65:115 and it clearly states that pork is forbidden.

I take this scripture to mean that any pig products are forbidden to consume.    Pork is explicitly forbidden in the Qur'an.  I don't eat pork, or much meat at all. Even if the meat is halal.  This makes it easier for me personally when preparing meals. Finding grocery stores that have halal meats is quite difficult here in Salt Lake City, or least not anywhere close to public transit stops.

One of the few exceptions  of when I eat meat is during  Eid AL-Fitt. This holiday occurs at the end of Ramadan. This is a big celebration where many Muslims come together. Some of my friends and I come together for food and perform zakat (charity). I eat a little bit of meat during Eid Al-Fitr partially because I need the protein so I can recharge my energy a little bit faster after fasting for so long.

I hope this explains a bit more about why I do not eat pork. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.

Salam
Kaden