[Faith-talk] Bible Sources

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 3 04:58:52 UTC 2017

Ericka,

To gain the most from accessible texts, it seems like we must have a
computer; a pc, laptop or tablet running the Microsoft suite.
You will find more and more only digital, no audio.
Many texts are now only electronic. Bookshare has text to speech software
you can use for their books so its more doable on the smart phone. But many
sources are best read via the pc due to the format such as HTML.

The digital divide is worse for blind people as we have to access the
internet more than others. An Iphone is not as powerful as a regular
computer, I'd argue, so to look at many websites and download book content,
we need computers.

Electronic texts can also be read with stand alone devices. Of course you
have to have internet to download them first, but perhaps, you can download
them from the Iphone and transfer them to a USB drive.
I recommend the humanware products such as the Victor reader stream or the
victor reader stratus

Maybe you can go to a place with computers to use them such as a lighthouse
for the blind, community center, or library. In my area, the talking book
library branch has adaptive technology workstations for blind and disabled
people. They get little use, probably due to the inconvenient location, but
one can still get there via bus or paratransit service.

Optasia Ministry only provides electronic formats. If I used their services,
I'd probably use my Victor reader stratus to read it because the text to
speech voice is more understandable.
If one cannot get a pc, then, a text to speech device which reads electronic
text such as the VR stream, book sense, or bookport is a good idea.

I would not like to read scripture stuff via pc for the same reasons Sandra
said.
So, I'd use a stand alone device.

To quote myself from another message, this is the trend, digital sources,
not audio.
"Yes, there are more resources out there but most are electronic which
excludes many blind people. Many people are not using the computers with
internet for  a number of reasons such as money, lack of training, or just
inability to grasp the skill.

I feel there is less and less out there in books for audio format. I
comprehend more by hearing a human voice as opposed to synthesized.
But everything is going digital, meaning text based only, it seems. Sure we
still have NLS which is a blessing." But they produce a limited amount of
sources yearly.

Optasia ministry is a great resource and I intend to use it soon.
So, I hope you can find a means to use them.

Ashley