[Faith-talk] some additional thoughts on relationships

sarah at sarahblakelarose.com sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Thu May 11 01:49:20 UTC 2017

Just musing, for whatever that is worth.

Like Ericka, I also was previously married. That is a long and complicated story.  That actually does have some relevance to our discussion both in terms of faith and blindness. I was raised in a church-going family, and I had quite conservative beliefs regarding marriage and family issues at the time. I also did not have proper open discussion with my family regarding important female matters. The combination of these two things left me vulnerable to situations in which men could dictate what they wanted from me, criticize me for not doing enough, etc, and I believed I was a failure. Needless to say, this had a profound impact on the situation with my first marriage. It was not all, but that is the part that is mine to tell.

The rest that is mine to tell is that I learned from it. What I learned is that if you cannot be comfortable with your own self, and living with your own self, you have nothing honest to give to the relationship. I stayed alone for a long time before I was ready for another relationship.

Sarah Blake LaRose

http://www.sarahblakelarose.com