[Faith-talk] Response to Ericka's Questions

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Wed May 17 08:59:26 UTC 2017

Hi Ericka,

No, you would not be shunned or disrespected if you were married
with no children.  Yes, you should work.  We have many women in
this situation, and one has her own business in her home.  I was
sharing what the norm is here, and giving an example of how a
church can thrive living according to Biblical principles here in
America.  Many believe that there are certain things, mainly in
the New Testament, that are cultural and historical, and not
applicable for us today.  There's freedom in knowing what's
expected, and knowing what God's Word says, and believing and
living accordingly.  We have struggles, difficulties, illnesses,
and all the rest, of course, because we're on the earth.  God
says we will.  And I don't work full-time, so I still get Social
Security Disability.  All the women don't sew, either, but many
do, thereby saving money on clothing.  That's part of their
ministry to their families.

I know that there are not many churches like ours, and not many
individuals who would be comfortable here or fit in.  I'm not
judging anyone who lives differently.  Most can't, nor would they
want to.  If, as Sarah says, and I believe her, conservative
church leaders and members oppress others, that is not God's way,
and that's not how Christians should treat others.  Not all
conservative congregations are like that, and it shouldn't be
assumed that ours is because of the things we stand for or how we
live.

Blessings,

Linda