[Faith-talk] relationship issues

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sun May 21 00:34:29 UTC 2017

So far, two additional comments (though I haven’t yet finished the latest FT installment): David, as Smokey Robinson once said, “I second that emotion,” re the reasons people are unable/unwilling to assist disabled in church. I don’t know if he has a podcast, but today, Glen Beck was talking about artificial intelligence and how scary it could/more-than-likely-will, become, and we are so fettered to our tech nowadays, so it won’t be hard to get us to slide down that slippery slope! I deliberately allow myself a “computer Sabbath” on Sundays—I spend entirely too much time on-screen generally, and both my computer and I need a break; so, other than occasionally checking in to see when a friend expects to pick me up for something, or if snow has made a Sunday service impossible, or something like that, I pretty-much steer clear of my computer. (And don’t think I’m not tempted, sometimes)! I am not impressed!

Sarah, congrats on your new digs and the convenience it affords!

Melissa, I’m with you. I like the Catholic concept of “annulment”—that certain marriages were not meant to be in the first place. I think it’s unfair for some to judge harshly, not knowing that so-and-so was divorced, for instance, because his/her life was in mortal jeopardy from spousal abuse, their spouse was a compulsive cheater (substitute whatever else—alcoholic, anorexic or whatever), and once the non-cheater (non-whateverer) has achieved some healing from the hamburger mill they came through, they could be so ready for a really functional relationship. Sure, “God hates divorce,” but it’s about the spirit of the law, not over-strict adherence to the letter. Just sad.

So true—if we can’t agree to disagree sometimes, our attitudes become stumbling-blocks to those who are exploring the issue of faith. Which is also why I’d like to see more unity in the church as a whole: if all they see is infighting amongst believers, they aren’t going to want any part of church.

Whew, I think I’ve finally maxed out this issue of FT! Hopefully I’m done grousing—yes, I am—there’s a happy story below that I might as well share—and I can start contributing to more positive “Faith Talk”!

So, I was telling my pastor about how much of an inner tantrum I’ve been throwing over just not feeling needed/wanted recently (and how, through conversation with an empty-nester who is also struggling somewhat with that), and she really caught on to the unspoken message of depression I was conveying—and eventually, I said to her, “If you can think of anything that needs doing, and that I might fit there, let me know.” She says she will give it some creative thinking, and inside, I went, “Yay, rah-rah!” She knows I don’t want to be in the prayer-shawl ministry, because my projects are earmarked for the National Eating Disorders Assn., and that I do so much crocheting already that I want something totally-other to do, and am not shy about doing physical labor, as long as it doesn’t strain my “old knees”. So, we’ll see what she comes up with; I’ll keep you all posted as it unfolds. Just nice to see someone willing to think outside the box.

Sandra

Not “Revelation” – tis – that waits
But our unfurnished eyes –
(Emily Dickinson)