[Faith-talk] Subject: Re: For Catholics with special needs, a

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 02:26:55 UTC 2017

Ah, I see I am being summoned! I really haven’t seen much in the way of services geared to meeting needs of autistics in my area, though some for especially hearing-impaired, and of course, my current church, as I’ve stated, has been exemplary where meeting my needs for blindness is concerned, generally. In the late ‘90s, I attended a church that was structured physically so that sound really, really carried; at the time, I hadn’t delved enough into  Asperger’s, to reconcile myself to having it, so hadn’t made the leap to consider how I might better acclimate—wish I had thought about earplugs then!!! My current church is also a nice, live room, but the music we do is pretty tame—except when the Hispanic church that rents has their activities, that is, and I generally don’t attend those. Also, I have noted to several in my congregation that I have AS, which particularly comes into play when I’m in a group Bible study or whatever—I am spare of words, not only because I may not see a way to contribute to the conversation maybe, but also, it takes me slightly longer to process all the viewpoints and analyze them and to decide whether I have anything pertinent to say; I’m hoping, as I keep bringing AS to their minds, that, more and more, as needs in the autistic spectrum come about, our people will recognize the needs and maybe be better equipped to meet them than before I came around 6 years ago.

Sandra

Not “Revelation” – tis – that waits
But our unfurnished eyes –
(Emily Dickinson)