[Faith-talk] Bookshare

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Sat May 27 19:13:31 UTC 2017

Hi Jenny,

The Bookshare membership, as has been said already, is $50 per
year.  If someone volunteers to scan books for them, they get
some off their membership fee.  The books on Bookshare are in
different formats: Braille, DAISY and text.  There are many books
currently being used by schools and universities, and they come
right from the publisher so that students have them more quickly.
They have a lot more Christian and faith-based literature than
NLS will ever have.

SANDRA, regarding student membership, I am a Hadley student, but
I can afford to pay the membership, so I do.  They offer free
memberships to so many, and then they send out pleas for
financial help.  In my heart, I believe that, since I can, I
should pay, freeing up a membership for some student who couldn't
afford it, but needs Bookshare as a valuable resource for their
course materials.  Blind people shouldn't always be takers, even
if we can, in my opinion.

Blessings,

Linda