[Faith-talk] Bookshare

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon May 29 20:23:51 UTC 2017

Sarah,

I can relate to what you are saying.
Congradulations on your persistance finding contract jobs.
Maybe God will lead me to such a position soon, too.
"It is very, very difficult in today's culture to locate an entry-level job
that pays a wage one can live on, especially for people who are blind. I
tried for several years. Every job I applied for required a driver's license
in order to prove you could get to work. I filed an EEOC complaint against
one employer, but after ten months the EEOC sent me a "right to sue" letter.
Of course, I had no money to sue. "

I respond, yes and yes.
I've also tried for several years to locate entry level work and still look
off and on.
I tried as an undergrad to get summer employment and sometimes was
successful. I've also tried securing entry level work after college but
barriers arise. BTW, my goals are to use my communication skills to do
something like public relations or maybe even journalism covering soft news
stories. But, so far, I see barriers to which you were refering to.

I've not encountered the drivers license issue as much as you, but certainly
in too many places. For instance, I've tried to apply for a handful of
seasonal jobs serving kids at recreation settings. You would not think a job
add targeting college students for this work would need a drivers license; I
thought it was just leading and supervising activities. Well, I was wrong.
The job description indicated must have a drivers license. I called and
asked why and was it really essential. I said my disability did not permit
me to drive. They were nice and stated that driving their small vans was
indeed essential to transport participants. I've also seen entry level
county jobs requiring drivers licenses to get from place to place on short
notice.
And, before anyone thinks, use public transit, this is not a viable option
in a big county where buses do not go everywhere.
Obviously, I cannot apply for some jobs for which I'm over qualified with a
BA degree.

Anyways, I know what you mean of the barriers finding entry level work
because I feel most entry level jobs like receptionist are too visual; same
with most administrative jobs requiring filing and data entry.

Anyways, back to accessible texts and faith.
I thought a bookshare membership was only free for Hadley Institute students
and  k-12 students.
Your message implies it is free to college students. I thought they had
dropped that because they lost the grant.
I hope I'm wrong here.

Was bookshare helpful to you studying to be a minister? Christian sources in
accessible form are hard to come by. I used learning ally a lot in college
which does not have Christian material.
I've wondered how blind students get their books if in a seminary.

Glad bookshare works for you.

Ashley