[Faith-talk] Pray without ceasing.

John J. Boyer john at godtouches.org
Fri Sep 8 07:27:33 UTC 2017

1 Thes 5:17. The question naturally arises as to what Paul meant by praying without ceasing. He might have meant it
for the community, but I think he also meant it for individuals. In this interpretation it means keeping a prayerful
attitude at all times. Repeating simple prayers can help us i this. In Matthew 6:7 Jesus says "Do not babble like the
pagans, who think that because of their many words they will be heard." What did He mean by this? Probably that they
recited a long list of divine names, hoping that one will force a response from the deity.

This is a type of magic. Trying to force a response from God  is futile and non-christian. He is pleased, however,
if we keep him in mind at
all times. Some people try to do this by repeating the "Jesus Prayer."

Luke gives the parables of the unjust judge and the man who goes to a friend at night for a loaf of bread to illustrate
the value of persistence in prayer.

I find it helpful to repeat a number of bits of spiritual poetry, probably because it helps me express my love for God.
Most of these are on www.godtouches.org on the poems and prayers pages. An example is

Help me Lord to pray and act
Despite discomfort, pain and age,
To make Your kingdom more a fact,
Although the world deride and rage.

Repeating this prayer helps me to have courage to go on spreading the Gospel.

Many Catholics find it helpful to say the Rosary. The Hail Mary is derived from the angel's announcement of the
incartnation of Jesus to Mary and from elizabeth's exclamation when Mary visited her. We do well to think on the meaning
of these scripture references. Moreover, the rosary is divided into a number of "mysteries," in which we are urged to
reflect (meditate) on the events in the lives of Jesus and Mary. For exaample, the Joyful mysteries consist of the
announcement of the incarnation, the visit to Elizabeth, the birth of Jesus, the presentation in the temple and the
finding in the temple.

At the last supper in the Gospel of John Jesus tells us to love one another as he has loved us. He
also prays "that they
may be one." I believe that dialogue between different faiths is the best way for religious people to seek peace. This
is particularly important for groups that call themselves Christian. Let us follow Jesus' command to love one another.

In the love of Christ,
John
--
John J. Boyer, Executive Director
GodTouches Digital Ministry, Inc.
Email: john at godtouches.org
Website htp://www.godtouches.org
Twitter: @godtouches
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Mission: promoting peace, love and service