[Faith-Talk] Division Meeting at Convention

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 30 02:40:27 UTC 2018

Greetings All,

I don't know what the agenda is for this year's meeting, but it
will be Thursday, July 5, from 12:30 to 5:00, maybe.  We're
usually through earlier.  Also, we will be having a 45-minute
time of devotions Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings at 8:00.

Just so you have an idea of the kinds of things that take place
at our division meetings, I'm pasting the 2017 meeting minutes
below.  Enjoy, and I hope to see many of you in Orlando next
week.  I wish all who going a safe trip there and back.

Blessings,

Linda Mentink, Secretary

NFB in Communities of Faith

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IN COMMUNITIES OF FAITH MEETING
MINUTES Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The National Federation of the Blind in Communities of Faith held
its annual meeting in Orlando, Florida, on Wednesday, July 12,
2017.  President Tom Anderson called the meeting to order at 1:00
PM.

We heard from publishers of Christian literature, each of whom
answered questions from the audience.  Our first speaker was
Gerri Rogee, Communication Director at Christian Record Services
for the Blind, which was started in Michigan in 1899.  Their
magazine is the Christian Record, the longest continuously
running Braille magazine in the world.  They have other Christian
magazines and a lending library of books on NLS cartridges.  They
will soon be rolling out a brand-new library services system
which will offer us services by way of our phones or our home
computers.  They also offer national camps for the blind.  This
camping program started in Florida in 1967.  They also have a
Bible school.

Our next speaker was Malachy Falon, Executive Director of Xavier
Society for the Blind, which was founded in 1900 in New York
City.  They offer materials in Braille and audio, primarily, but
not specifically Christian, predominantly, but not exclusively in
the Catholic tradition.  They have about 700 titles in both audio
and Braille.  They have a staff of six people.

Our next speaker was Paul Weigartner, Director of the Assemblies
of God Center for the Blind in Springfield, Missouri.  This
ministry started in 1952.  They do most of the Assemblies of God
publications and periodicals and Berean School of the Bible
textbooks.  They have a book lending library, and are converting
all their cassettes to DAISY.  They have a number of
nondenominational evangelistic materials.  The descriptive video
of the Jesus Film is now available on DVD through the Jesus Film
Project.  They may eventually buy some to loan or give away.
They also give away the New Living Translation on cartridge.  He
answered questions from the audience.

Allen Decker, spoke first about Aurora Ministries, which was
started in 1970 by the founder of Tropicanna Orange Juice.  In
1980 they started giving Bibles away to people on NLS cassettes.
The Bibles are now available in talking book and DAISY formats on
NLS cartridges and SD cards.  They have converted most of their
major translations.  The five-year Bible study by J.  Vernon
McGee and the Mini Bible College are also available.  They also
offer devotionals.

He then spoke about MegaVoice, a company which makes solar
hand-held accessible players.  Audio versions of the Jesus Film
in many languages, the Through the Bible program and the Mini
Bible College are available on these players.

Mike Smith gave us an update on International Christian Braille
Mission, now in Grayson, Kentucky.  This ministry began in the
fall of 1975 by handing out a small Braille tract titled "We
Would See Jesus." He shared the history of their move to Grayson
in June, 2016.

We then learned and sang together "Every Promise in the Book Is
Mine," after which Tom announced the speakers for Devotions the
following three mornings: Rev.  Sam Gleese, Sarah LaRose and Rev.
Peter Heide.

We then heard from individuals in our midst who are in ministry.
Our first speaker was Rev.  Dr.  Carolyn Peters, from Dayton,
Ohio.  She spoke to us about our God-given gifts and giving back.
She is a career social worker, a practicing theologian, and she
believes that we all serve the same God.  She shared about her
vision loss and health issues, earning her Doctorate degree
intheology, and publishing her first book KNOWING WHEN TO GO
based on the book of Ruth.

Our next speaker was Sarah LaRose, Professor of Hebrew Studies in
Anderson, Indiana.  She talked about what happens when we think
we can't do things.  She shared the trials of learning Hebrew and
Greek in seminary as a blind person who did not want to go
somewhere else to do this.  She believes that language study
should be done in the person's own environment.  She is now
teaching inclusive Hebrew classes online for credit.  Next year
inclusive Greek classes will also be available for credit.  She
is in her doctoral study so that she can become qualified to
teach full time at the university level.  She also offers private
study options for people who don't need the credit.  Knowing
Hebrew and Greek has greatly enhanced her Scriptural study.

Next we heard from Rev.  Peter Heide, pastor of albany Lutheran
Church in Albany, Wisconsin, and President of our new NFB of
Wisconsin in Communities of Faith division.  He shared about
being sighted and blind four times, going to seminary as a
sighted person, and finally living as a blind person.  He shared
from the Bible stories of the influence of blindness in God's
plan.  He hopes, in the next couple years, to come up with a
Bible study that will encourage us to start claiming our place as
blind people who can't see, but who have vision.

Tom called the business meeting to order at 2:55.  He mentioned
the following: Sarah LaRose is working with David Andrews on
getting our website going.  We have a presence on FaceBook.  The
NFB of Kansas has a Communities of Faith division which meets
monthly by telephone conference call.  They prepared a brochure
about how to reach out to educate churches about blind people.
In April the Communities of Faith division was organized in
Wisconsin.  The officers of the NFB of Kansas in Communities of
Faith are Tom Anderson, President, Cheryl Miller, Vice President,
and Donna Wood, Secretary-Treasurer.  The officers of the NFB of
Wisconsin in Communities of Faith are Peter Heide, President,
Chelsea Reilly, Vice President, Ericka Short, Secretary, and
Steve Heesen, Treasurer.  Dr.  Peters asked about organizing a
division in Ohio.  We discussed the value of having Communities
of Faith divisions and connecting with other blind people of
faith.

Linda read the minutes of the 2016 annual meeting.  Rehnee moved,
many seconded, that the minutes be approved as read.  The motion
carried.

In Sam's absence, Linda reported that we have $565 in the
treasury, plus dues for 17 members.  Rehnee moved, Leslie
seconded, that we donate $50 to each of the five funds (White
Cane, ten Broek, Imagination, SUN and Jernigan).  The motion
carried.

Tom mentioned that our Student Division is doing something called
the Student Olympics.  They have asked each division to
participate.  Tom created some Bible quiz questions that are of
varying levels of difficulty, and he and Rehnee will participate.
It will be a good opportunity to plant some seeds.

Elections were held, and the following people were elected by
acclamation: Tom Anderson, President; Rehnee Aikens, Vice
President; and Linda Mentink, Secretary.  While waiting for Sam
to come, we discussed the treasury, asking questions such as
Where is our current account? Is Tom's signature also on it? and
Is Sam interested in remaining our treasurer? Tom stepped out to
see if he could get Sam on the phone.  He did, and Sam said he
would like to continue as Treasurer, with the stipulation that
someone be trained to take the position in the future.  Sarah is
willing to be trained.  Sam was nominated, and was elected by
acclamation.  Sam said we have $655 in our account.

Donna Posont suggested that we do inspirational podcasts that we
could share with others.  Sarah said they could be posted on our
website.  This will be a long-term project.

The meeting adjourned at 3:42 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary