[Faith-Talk] reading from other faiths

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 14:03:15 UTC 2018

I was blessed to attend a Christian liberal arts college, United College of Gordon and Barrington (generally known as Gordon—long story, won’t go into it here; if you do want to know, willing to chat off-list), where some of the required reading was from other faiths—e.g., Siddhartha, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and The Chosen, among others. Ashamed to say that, on my own time, I haven’t done as much, in the years after. I do think it’s worthwhile, because if you want to witness re your faith, you really need to know where others are coming from, to be able to establish a base for talking with them and any credibility. As a Christian, I can say that many in my tradition have taken an isolationist mindset that doesn’t allow for exposure to others’ views, and they don’t realize it, but that is their undoing, re being a credible witness.

Sandra

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.”
(Henry David Thoreau)

---