[Faith-Talk] NFB in Communities of Faith committee in Florida

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 31 13:00:37 UTC 2018

Good morning.

I would like to report we have a Communities of Faith committee in Florida
now.  In the future it could achieve division status but for now this allows
us to communicate with each other and work on issues related to the faith
journey of members here.

We are holding monthly conference calls, usually on the third Monday evening
of the month.  The first one was in September and this month's was just this
past Monday due to scheduling issues with the moderators, but we hope to get
back on track in November.  The calls are being moderated by Marilyn
Baldwin, who is also a national member of the division like myself, and
Kathy Davis, a former president of the Florida affiliate who is currently
serving as vice president of my chapter in Daytona Beach where I am
secretary.

Our goals are to support each other in our faith journey while respecting
diverse theological traditions, both Christian and non-Christian, to assist
members in obtaining accessible worship and study materials, and improving
interactions between ourselves and sighted members of our congregations.  We
would like also to assist the blind of our state in entering the ministry on
a volunteer or professional basis if they so desire.

On the last phone call, we discussed how everyone had reacted to the recent
news of the mail bomb attempts and synagogue massacre and how their faith is
helping  them process what is happening now.  We also discussed our vision
for what the committee could achieve.

Bill Outman