[Faith-Talk] getting involved in church

Sandra Streeter sandrastreeter381 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:52:32 UTC 2018

Although our theologies differ markedly, the United Methodist church I currently attend has offered me many opportunities to serve: choir membership and solo singing, making presentations  (one on stewardship; and one about my mom for Mother’s Day, which I could send someone if they’re interested—write me off-list), helping set up for activities, writing several newsletter articles (including a series on blindness, and an upcoming one on autism that’s still “in the crockpot”), and some devotional articles. I agree that many of the more Charismatic churches are bent toward diving right into healing prayer for us, though some of them are teachable (especially the Calvary Chapels); but I’m not sure I’d be comfortable in a church that didn’t side with the idea of the gifts being for today, so, I’m a very hard person to fit—too liberal for the really conservative churches, too conservative for the liberals. As my worship style and theology have become more refined, I find I’m more and more a square peg, in terms of ideology. I stay in my current church because, despite the differences and my definite disagreement with some of the ideology, we still share the cross, and, unlike most churches which either don’t see opportunities for blind people or which are already set for their needs in the areas where I could serve, it has found places where I can be part of the edification of the body instead of just taking. What saddens me is how many blind Christians tend toward passivity—“No one will reach out to me,” yet, they don’t try to be a friend in return (to have a friend, you have to be a friend); you can’t just sit there blank-faced and expect everyone to reach out to you. Not directed at you, Anna, because it sounds like you are trying—but a lot don’t try.

Sandra

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."
(James Baldwin)

---