[Faith-Talk] Ramadan and other ramblings

BRUCE&JOY BRESLAUER breslauerj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 00:17:17 UTC 2019

Ramadan 2019 was from the evening of Sunday, May 5, to the evening of Monday,
June 3.  At least that's what it was in the U.S.  In 2020 it will be from
Thursday evening, April 23, to Saturday evening, May 23.  Many of us on this
list may not know what Ramadan is, and what you do on Ramadan.  That might be
knowledge that Mustafa or any other Moslem on this list could share with us.
Although I am a Christian and not afraid to say so, I am fascinated and
interested in other people's beliefs and why they came to believe what they do.
I know that is not exactly what this list is for.  But nevertheless, it is one
of my interests.

I can't help but think that underneath all that bluster and bombast beats the
heart of a human being who has joys and sorrows like the rest of us, has
financial struggles, deals with a wife and her family and his, has neighbors
and friends, has experienced successes and failures, and just wants to be
respected and accepted for who he is and what he is, just like we all do.  He
used to be somebody's baby, somebody's hope for the next generation.  Whether
or how that hope may have been conveyed to him is something only he knows, and
he knows only his perception of the matter.  Show us that side of you and we
will be more than happy to embrace it.  I think deep down we all want to be
loved and accepted, we want to do a worthy work with our lives, and we want to
search for and find our highest calling in life and follow that calling.  We
probably want to leave this world a little better than we found it, if in our
own small way.  I have a friend who is emotionally unstable, and one way to
deal with her is to not deal with her when she is all het up, but let her calm
down and realize that she has been hurt many times by others and that she has
had to fight tooth and nail for everything she has gotten in life.  However she
sees herself is her reality, whether it is true or not.  It's not my job to
convince her otherwise; it's my job to meet her where she is and see if I can
be a healing balm to the caged angry animal she can sometimes be.  She may not
see God in any other way, because she is so busy pushing back against all the
people and experiences that have hurt her in her life.  I don't expect her to
ever heal, and there are times I must put her at arm's length for my own safety
and emotional well-being.  I am not her fixer, and I am not her savior.  But I
can be her friend and be a kind, steadying influence in her circle.  I have no
power to predict what effect that will have.  I know that is what I am called
to do, to be kind to the hurting.  There is a reason for it.  I don't have to
know what it is.  All I know is that God loves her and He will ultimately take
care of her.  However it ends, it will be ok.  I think there are a lot of
hurting people in the world that only know to lash out when they are cornered.
They give out what they think they have gotten all their lives.  That may never
change, but that's no reason I can't be kind to her if the opportunity presents
itself.  I don't know Mustafa's life story and I don't have to.  One thing I do
know is that he and I both like chocolate cake.  That's a starting point.  Joy