[Faith-Talk] Faith diversity, recent massacre in N. Z.

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 18:00:26 UTC 2019

Hello, list members.

I wanted to reflect on the events we have all seen in the news of late
regarding the terrorist attack in New Zealand.  I noticed there had been
very little comment on it, except for one person with a personal experience
with that country. This is understandable given some of the pointed
discussions we have had on this list the last couple years especially
regarding faith perspectives that might be different from our own.

We may have different perspectives on specific doctrine or practice, and
varying understanding of the history of our chosen faith and that of others.
What is important is that we act in such a way as to diminish division where
we can, and pointing out strong differences only when we absolutely must,
and even then carefully.  Our actions and words must be a witness to love.

Let us remember that our purpose as a division is to assist all who are
blind and visually impaired to participate actively and effectively in a
journey of relationship with God, leaving the final judgment of the
propriety of that relationship to God.  We should defend freedom of
conscience, within the bounds of love and respect, here at home, and
advocate for it abroad as well, both for the sighted and blind.

We had our Florida communities of faith committee call last night.  I hope
to encouragethe members to join this national list.  I understand the chair
participated in a conference call with the Kansas division recently.

May the grace of God be with you all.

Bill Outman