[Faith-Talk] Faith Community Content Accessibility

Allen Zderad ajzderad at midco.net
Sat Sep 19 20:55:55 UTC 2020

Hi All,

                My name is Allen Zderad, and am interested if anyone in this
emailing group has worked on accessibility issues within faith communities?
That is, there are various items of content within a faith community that
may, or may not, be accessible to blind and low vision congregants.  These
may include worship songs, sermon notes, study materials, and websites; to
name a few.

                In providing these items to sighted congregants, faith
community staff may not be familiar with tools and methods for preparing
these  sources in a format accessible for blind congregants.  Additionally,
such staff may not consider purchasing software used in creating these items
that will create accessible content.  For example, if songs are projected
for congregational singing, the software used to create the slides/video,
may not also generate a digital file readable on a smart phone, or other
device used by a blind congregant.  Similarly,  a website may not be created
compliant with web accessibility guidelines; making it difficult to navigate
and access pertinent  information.

                Unfortunately, a blind, or low vision congregant, may
encounter resistance in convincing the leadership to provide reasonable
accommodation.  Therefore, I am wondering if some of this group has been
able to identify software and/or web design tools used by faith communities
that have been used to create accessible content.  If the staff uses
Microsoft WORD, or an equivalent, this does not become a problem.  However,
I have encountered video projection software; i.e. ProPresenter used for
songs and sermon notes, which does not render a digital file compatible with
an iPhone.  Similarly , one may encounter a website, either improperly
coded, or unable to be coded properly do to the web  design tool being used.

                Welcome any recommendations, or resources  to assist.

Allen