[Faith-Talk] Accessibility At Churches And Advocacy

The Rev. Christopher L. Smith church.cls at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 04:41:13 UTC 2022

Sarah,

I followed that link and came to a page that was not really that friendly. I think if we want people to take our concerns and requests into consideration when they are starting from lack of understanding, we may need to communicate better about best practices and why they should be considered.

I also fully agree about the fact that most churches do not invest in custom professional websites. There are several options for free church listings/pages/sites that are easy for a church to default to. Even when something is built just for that church, it often falls on a volunteer who uses what they know to have a web presence.

From a broader perspective, web presence for many churches have more serious issues than accessibility. I say that not to put down our accessibility concerns, but to highlight that a site being accessible and still not having accurate up to date information still isn’t useful. I recently looked at five churches to try and find out about worship (is it still virtual and if so how do I access it) and two had not been updated since before the pandemic (one even still listed a pastor that left 5+ years ago), one provided a link for their virtual worship (but it turned out it wasn’t running as they were back in person), another detailed the process they used to reopen in 2021 but left it unknown what was going on, and the fifth said they were worshipping online until further notice built provided no way to access the online service (I actually preached there last Sunday and they only provided the link by email to members and will be back in person in two weeks). This is just an example of the type of problem church websites have in being up to date.

Christopher

------
The Rev. Christopher L. Smith
New York, USA

Sent from a remote device.
Please do not reply to this email address, rather use my regular email address (this may possibly be found in the cc)