[Faith-Talk] accessible online events

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 23:45:53 UTC 2022

I finally got my first large print hymnal. I love it! Finally I can follow along with my Magnifier and actually sing more.

In person things are usually just ask for a little detail from the people sitting at the same table as me. The first time I went to our areas Lutheran synod of simile I had to bug them but they didn’t give me things in braille. Sometimes we’ve got to teach them. The hardest part though is knowing how to get the accommodations you need. For bigger events I think that they could do audio description just as places have those transmitters for the deaf or whatever they are. I’ve never really gone anywhere that needed that kind of stuff. However I’ve never continuously attended a church that had one of those screens up for the songs and such.  I’ve asked for photocopies of the words in the past for things.

I’m passing on the torch to you younger folks and these issues! People keep telling us Netflix has descriptive video and is accessible. Tell them to our Samsung TV. Very little is accessible in our world. Tubi is accessible but only has close captioning which I’ve never even tried to read.

Ericka Nelson